Wyoming Area J

1100 Remington Man

Just wondering if it's worth a try? All I here about is Area G & H was wondering if Area J is a good area with good numbers of deer. Is it rough country & how is public access?

There's a reason why there are 300 deer tags left for that Region and it's because of deer numbers and even more so a lack of good, easily accessible public hunting land. Another thing to look at that gives you a clue is that one area is limited quota (60) that you can't hunt on a general license that's available and the units that you can are buck only, which is another indicator that deer numbers are way down. Having said that, if you want a taste of Wyoming with a chance at a mulie, get some good maps, a Garmin GPS with a landownership chip, and go because you certainly won't shoot one in Ohio!

Was looking at South Dakota but did not draw. Why does a State sell tags if no animals if the herd is not where you want it ? FYI I have the Garman GPS & I would not go out west with out it. I was wondering if it was rough country & public access to the national forest ? Yes I was looking to this region because I need a tag.

Wyoming sets a maximum number of nonresident deer tags for each Region and some Regions were either cut pretty good this year because of the bad winter two years ago or just declining deer numbers for various reasons. 80% of the WY G&F budget is from licenses and Pittman Morrison tax money they get from the Feds on hunting type merchandise and it's based on number of hunting licenses sold, so there is some politics involved in trying to keep hunter numbers up because 60% of that 80% is from nonresident hunters. I looked on my CD ROM for that Region and these are the public land spots I would hunt that are accessible out there in that region, especially if you have the GPS chip. Unit 63---the west/central part; Unit 64---the southeast part; Unit 65---has the Medicine Bow National Forest down in the southwest part of the unit. The other units don't have enough public land to even mess with. Hope that helps a little!

Thanks still looking for left over tags we will see what is avaible. On other states & WY
I will say Idaho with the ability to shoot Deer Lion or Bear on one Tag looks very good if not this year some day soon........

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, going to do Wyoming left over pronghorn and am looking hard at Idaho for mule deer. I did buy points in Wyoming and Colorado this year, should have started all that a long time ago......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.