Wyoming Antelope: Little big guy

So my antelope area opened yesterday so I went out to try and find a decent goat. My goal was to harvest a 15" tall goat between 700-1000 yards shooting my 30SM match rifle prone. I'm running the 245gr EOL's at 3040fps around 1/2 moa @1k. I've only had the opportunity to harvest one (1) small buck a few years ago so I wanted this one to count.
I passed on a few first thing and 2 hours in I saw what I thought was a 15" plus goat with half a dozen does in tow. I couldn't get a decent shot at any distance prone so I used my tripod and shot him at 702 yards right when he stepped forward. Shot was behind both shoulders and a through and through. He ran about 20 feet and tanked. Well I got to him and was happy but realized he was not a 15 inch goat. Still a decent buck. I didn't cape him out and just quartered it up and kept the head. Today I measured him to see where he would land. I was thinking mid 70's which isn't bad. Without deductions it measured 84-6/8.
Should I go ahead as planned and just do a European mount or should I try and see if a taxidermist can round up enough hide to do a full mount? I'm leaning towards the European mount. I am going to have someone help me re measure to make sure I did it right. This was my first attempt and might have messed up somewhere. I have attached the form with all of my numbers. I didn't deduct the difference. Either way I am happy with this year's harvest and grateful for the meat in the freezer that will provide food for me and my family.
Thanks
Jeremy
View attachment 393611View attachment 393612View attachment 393613View attachment 393614
Congrats on a mighty fine harvest, and enjoy some good eats! I am not a trophy hunter, but all my hunts are trophies. A shoulder mount is a pretty penny these days, and Euro mounts are nice, too, esp. with an angled base for a wall mount. Unfortunately, the choice is yours to make. Good luck!

89098C7B-25BD-4620-821E-D1CA3D51E97D.jpeg

Just got my first speed goat as well. I guess I'm ruined now. 85 1/8"

So my antelope area opened yesterday so I went out to try and find a decent goat. My goal was to harvest a 15" tall goat between 700-1000 yards shooting my 30SM match rifle prone. I'm running the 245gr EOL's at 3040fps around 1/2 moa @1k. I've only had the opportunity to harvest one (1) small buck a few years ago so I wanted this one to count.
I passed on a few first thing and 2 hours in I saw what I thought was a 15" plus goat with half a dozen does in tow. I couldn't get a decent shot at any distance prone so I used my tripod and shot him at 702 yards right when he stepped forward. Shot was behind both shoulders and a through and through. He ran about 20 feet and tanked. Well I got to him and was happy but realized he was not a 15 inch goat. Still a decent buck. I didn't cape him out and just quartered it up and kept the head. Today I measured him to see where he would land. I was thinking mid 70's which isn't bad. Without deductions it measured 84-6/8.
Should I go ahead as planned and just do a European mount or should I try and see if a taxidermist can round up enough hide to do a full mount? I'm leaning towards the European mount. I am going to have someone help me re measure to make sure I did it right. This was my first attempt and might have messed up somewhere. I have attached the form with all of my numbers. I didn't deduct the difference. Either way I am happy with this year's harvest and grateful for the meat in the freezer that will provide food for me and my family.
Thanks
Jeremy
View attachment 393611View attachment 393612View attachment 393613View attachment 393614

Congratulations on a fine buck. Like said, net is for fishing and gross works. A old taxidermist friend Bob White always told me - "No hook, no book". Meaning that lots of length is hidden in a horn that hooks. My longest horned goat is 17" but it has a tremendous amount of hidden length in the huge hook. But I have a 15" that scores better.

A recommendation for you - avoid boiling if you go Euro and find someone with bugs and does decreasing / whitening. Boiling makes it fragile and you can lose parts. Also once the horn can come off, get some bondo on the inside to reduce shrinking. They shrink a bunch over the years.

I have both full shoulder mounts and euro's and enjoy having them in the house. My first is mounted and likely one of my smallest. The size was not why, it is the memory.

Congratulations again on a fine trophy.

Don't know where in Wy you are. I'm in Cheyenne, leaving for the Lander One Shot Antelope hunt tomorrow. There will be lots of capes available. Fill me in. Maybe I can help.
I am leaning towards a shoulder mount. A cape would be greatly appreciated. I'm I Rock Springs and am willing to travel as far as Rawlins if anyone has one available.
Thanks
Jeremy

Nice shooting and a nice speed goat! I did a shoulder mount on my one and only pronghorn (scored 74) but I am from Pennsylvania. Looks like you're from Rock Springs and antelope are plentiful so you know what's out there size wise. Just do the European mount and go for bigger next year. It's that easy when you live in Wyoming! 😁
They do look great.