Wy unit 97?

JOHNNIE WALKER

Do any of you have any experiance elk hunting Wyoming elk unit 97? I'm trying to put a hunt together for me and a buddy. I'm not afraid of rough terrain, or pushing myself. I'm more interested in knowing wether or not it's worth the 1500 mile drive, and the expense that goes with it. Feel free to PM me if you don't want the info to be public. This will be a DIY hunt. I'm not new to elk hunting, but I have never been to Wyoming. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johnnie, I've spent a bunch of time around Pinedale, but I've never hunted 97 (fingers crossed for this year!)
One thing I do know is there's a LOT of wilderness area & as a non resident you'll need a guide, or resident with the free guide tag.
Elevation isn't too much to worry about, mostly it's around the 9k mark, but it's step up in Bridger national forest.

I've hunted that area twice. Two bulls. Going back again in Sept. One with my 300 win and the other with my longbow. You will need a guide unless you are a WY resident. You will need a horse or mule maybe two. Very steep terrain with plenty of blowdowns. The horses and mules are the heros out there. Beautiful country.

Thank you both very much for the replies. I appreciate the info. I've never been to Wyoming. It's a little nerve racking trying to figure this out without ever seeing the area.

Hi Johnnie,

I was looking at going out to Area 97 this fall and was curious if you ended up going to Area 97? If you did what were your thoughts of the area? Are the only elk up in the wilderness area or can you find something south of there?

I ended up drawing a tag in 98. I learned real quick that the limited amount of National forest ground was extremely over crowed with people. The trailheads were packed. All of the access roads had camps everywhere. Remember that non-hunters are more than welcome to visit the wilderness, and people from all over travel to the wind river range to go hiking. I'm in pretty good shape, and I covered a lot of ground. Everywhere I went I found people. I even found an outfitters camp on the edge of the wilderness. I would study the map, try to find a place that was to remote for someone on foot to make it to, hike in the dark and push myself, just to get there and either find people or fresh sign of people. It was easy to see that just prior to the season there was a lot of elk in the area. Old sign was everywhere. But they were gone. I did see a group of elk on private ground, and I did stumble into a cow elk on public land. I don't think I would hunt this part of the state again unless I had access to the back country. It seemed like there were elk there, but you had to be able to get back to them.

Thank you very much for your explanation of the area. I have a feeling that 97 is probably pretty similar to 98 then. As a non-resident without PP it looked like your odds were best for drawing a tag in 97 or 98. Have you hunted or found less people in a different area of Wyoming?

That was my first trip to Wyoming. It looked like that part of the state was probably all the same. Its truly beautiful. The scenery was fantastic. The wind river range is popular for a reason. Once you get back almost to where you're not supposed to be the beauty really starts. But it didn't seem ideal for a DIY non resident hunter. If you could somehow get a resident to pack you in, you'd probably have an amazing hunt. If you cant find a way to get away from the crowds, save your points and try another part of the state.

Area 99 is a much nicer area. More open area. Very little private property. Area 100 is one of the best, but is hard to draw.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.