WY Elk Area 8 and 10

SDflyfisher

Got my hands on a leftover Wy Elk area 8 tag. I have never hunted there or even near, been looking at some maps and about to put some boots on the ground but just getting my resources looked at and and tapping into the forum. I am wondering what everyone knows about wy elk are 8, and public land associated with the area. Also looking for some access to private land to hunt on. Also I am going to have a General Elk tag in pocket also. I've hunted area 11 for the most part for elk but know 10 is similar being next to 11. I was wondering what information people had on area 10, and looking for maybe some private land someone would be willing to let me explore. Thanks all!

Area 8 was literally my back yard until i was 21. I have spent countless hours there. First off let me say that there is very little public land to hunt. And what land you can hunt it is 80% flat land sage brush. On that land there is one road in and one road out, it is rough and very rocky. If it get wet or snow it is **** near impossible to get up it. As for elk, there are a few resident elk that live on Red mountain( the only public land) but for the most part it is their winter range, so later in the season and the more snow, the more elk. When i pick up that tag i usually dont even bother until end of november.
As for area 10. Lots of trees and lots of people and lots of elk. But just like any other area, as soon as the elk hear that first shot on opening day, they go into hiding. The forest service closed about 50% o the roads up there 5 years or so ago. In my mind it was a good thing. The elk number has exploaded and size of the bulls has gone up. I hunt this area when i cant draw. We have seen bulls pushing 360 during archery season which was unheard of ten years ago.

Anymore questions just send me a pm and ill do my best to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.