WY Elk Area 121

Magnumitis

A friend of mine has 4 points and is thinking of applying for 121 via the special tag. I wish I had some advice for him, but I've never hunted it. Anyone know anything about this area?

Plan on hiring an outfitter or bringing horses. Most of it is inaccessable ( unless you hire an outfitter) if heavy snow and wind show up in Oct before the Nov season begins. Risky.

I was curious to see if you would reply to this thread. I'm surprised you don't have positive things to say about the area. You've done pretty well in 121, haven't you? Or, do you mainly hunt 53?

121 is a good area if you know how to hunt it. To be completely honest, the last bull I killed out of there was a spike that I shot with my bow at least 8 years ago. So no I have not done good in that area as of late. I have packed several elk out of there all but one during archery season. My sister killed a bull out of there several years ago but we took horses up the face of Rattlesnake from Newton lake, Not a fun ride or walk. You can try to access it through Jim Mountain, but I am not sure if Modell owns the land surrounding it and it's landlocked or you can go up Monument Hill but if that gets any snow it drifts in several places. 4 wheelers are no good because in places snow is too deep and snowmobiles make it hard because of how the road switchbacks there is often several hundred yards of bare dirt. A tracked wheeler would work. Elkoholic, all the bulls that you have seen that we have killed have ALL come out of Sunlight between Beam Gulch and the Galina slides. Tikka, yes we have horses. All I am saying is that if you don't have horses and you don't want to hire an outfitter ( if you can't access from Monument hill chances are you will be hunting in or near the Wilderness Boundry) I can think of several other areas in the state I would burn my points on. 58,61,63,7,31,32,100,38, heck even 49 are some I would consider. Look into the sucess rates in 121 compared to the other areas I mentioned. 121 runs around 40% on averag where as most run at least 60 and as high as 80% Look in the Jan 2012 issue of Eastman's, but each to their own. I have just recently been transferred to Colorado so I will be in the Non-resident boat for WY shortly, it bums me out but hey now it's time to chase BIG Mule Deer and little elk.

There is no doubt some great bulls in 121 and if your buddy chooses to hunt it, best of luck.

I like to huntbwhere I have private access... 121 is not it. But elkoholic has horses and inside info so am confident he can pull It off. Good luck in the non resident draw.

Sounds like they have a plan then. Post pictures and Elkaholic, make sure you lend your buddy one of your CPG rigs. Sounds like your 6.5x47 L is shooting pretty good eh??

We're not 100% sold on 121 yet; still exploring options. My friend is mainly wanting a November hunt. I think he may need another point or two though.

The 6.5x47 is a shooter for sure, but it belongs to my dad. He also has a 6x47 that shoots lights out. My CPG rifle is a 6.5-284. Thank you for all the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.