WY Antelope Hunt-Son's First Hunt

magicofmt

WY Antelope Hunt-Son\'s First Hunt

My son and I headed for WY to hunt some goats. We won a guided trip at a sport show last winter and were very, very excited about this hunt. It was my son's first hunt in his life where he could shoot, he just turned 12 yrs old. He has been along with me for the last 5 years hunting deer, elk, and antelope and couldn't wait for this day he could hunt/shoot.
Day one was glassing and glassing, but nothing over 14 1/2 inches. We looked at 100+ bucks, no kidding! The drought here had hurt the horn growth this year.
Sunday we lowered the bar on what we were looking for to shoot, anything at or over 14 inches with mass and good cutters(pronges). Finally Sun am we spotted a nice 14 inch buck with good mass and cutters. My son was ready to shoot after sitting for a day and a half.
We parked the truck and walked over a ridge and the buck busted us, he slowly walked away down the hill. I put ear plugs in my sons ears while he was getting the gun ready. The guide ranged the buck now at 260 yds and said to Casey not to shoot, we can get a better, closer shot than the 260 yds. As soon as the guide finished his sentence, BOOM! Casey had shot. We look down the hill and the antelope just crumbled, straight down. Apparently, I had put the ear plugs in too good because he didn't hear a word the guide said and knew he could hit the goat. That's funny! What a shot, 1st animal of his life. He was shooting a Rem 7mm-08 Mountain Rifle with 120 gr Barnes Triple Shocks. Was 13 7/8 on one side and 14 1/8 on the other and really heavy. Wound showing is the exit hole, antelope turned 1/4 towards us to look back and whack! Second picture shows the ridge Casey shot from.

CaseyGoat2006.jpg

Caseyshotlookingup06.jpg

Next it's off to get my goat, but I really didn't care because I was so happy for Casey. He was sad because he had to put his gun away, for a week anyway. Deer and elk opens next weekend.
We found another goat a while later standing only 50 yds away and he was nice. By the time I got ready, he spooked and was now 602 yds away. I was ready to shoot, but he never stopped walking and then he walked over a ridge and I didn't get a shot. I walked over to the ridge (off my right shoulder in the picture) where he was and there he was, now 570 yds away, right out in the flats. I set up my 270 AM, 17 clicks up, no to light wind, and let it fly. I looked in the scope and saw the hit, the guide saw dirt fly and said that I shot over the back. I told him I didn't think so, the goat took 4 or 5 walking steps and dropped. The 270 Allen Mag with 140 gr AB's did it, no problem.

Dansgoat2006.jpg

What a hunt, 2 days with my son, 2 shots, 2 antelope and a memory I'll never forget.
Yes, his goat is bigger than mine, mine was 14/1/8 and 14 1/4 but not near the mass or cutters, I'm glad.

Re: WY Antelope Hunt-Son\'s First Hunt

Congrats to both of ya!!!!!!!!

Me and Bill Bailey are planning on heading up to WY next year to do a little speed goat hunting, hope to have results like you guys. Congrats to your son for making a hell of a shot. And congrats to you for the long poke with the 270AM, good shootin

steve

Thats quite a start to a hunting career!!!

Congrats to all!! Whats this about getting closer then 260 yards, obviously your son felt there was no reason for such rubbish!!!

Glad to hear the 270 AM worked on your goat. For flat shooting out to 500-600 yards its hard to beat the 270 AM with the high velocity of the 140 gr Accubond.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Lerch and Kirby.

Shot my MT antelope yesterday at 630 yds, will post story once I have pictures.

Great Hunt! Awesome experience. Glad for both of you!
Congratualtions.

Now we can see the other horn! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
48zse44.jpg

Tell your boy good job for me. I'm sure the guide was a little surprised by you and your son's abilities.
Good shooting with the AM on your lope also.

Great shooting and great pictures. Congratulations to you & your son. It's really great to get out together & create memories that will last a lifetime.

What are you doing here ??

You best get on back out there and shoot some elk and deer an bears . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I mean it , I'm telling ( Roy inIdaho ) He is roaming all the Salmon country looking for you and he can't see and his knees are bad and he cant see and ................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There better be a good excuse for this or your Cabelas credits will be withdrawn as soon as I tell them .

Now , I gotta go and find Roy ..........Roy ........Roy ?

Jim B

Sure enjoying the hunting stories!!! Congratulations, you and your son had a fine hunt. Thanks for sharing, really appreciated.

magicofmt:

Congrats on a great hunt and story. Tell your son congratulations on some super shooting. Looks and sounds like you've got a hunting partner for a long time to come. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That looks like a smile on his face that won't come off for a long time.

You kinda had an unfair advantage shooting that "little" 270 AM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The poor ol speed goats don't stand a chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.