WV here! Need advice on Gun choice

setandglass

I want to replace my 300 wby mag just not doing what i want it to. I hunt ELK and Mule in CO @ 8000 feet. My problem I need a caliber that will kill elk at 1000 all my shoots run 500 to 1000, most will be 700 and 800 tho.

My buddy has a 7mm sendero ultra mag 180 berger @3150 on retumbo.gun)

I would like to know what you guys think about that set up for elk at 1000 (2088fps/1742 energy @ 1000) reason I'm considering buyin one.

But I'm torn with the 338 and say a 225 or 250 bullet. I dont think the 300 berger is for me been running the number jujst to much drop I believe.

Any help will be fine. not looking to buy a full custome so gun I nee is something I can run out and buy and have alittle work done.

Guns in my mind 338 or 7mm sendero ultra mag, AR30 338 lapu.

My 300 wby is just not putting up the numbers 210 bergers @ 2750 best load. max speed so far 2850. When ran by the 7mm its way behind.

1st, it looks as tho your no where near what the Wby will push.
How long is the barrel? You should be way faster than where your at.
2nd, it sounds like your buddy is throwing stats at you, bragging on how much better his 7mm is.....
Well, if you compare 180gr to 180gr, ya it wins on paper. But if you compare optimal bullet to optimal bullet the 300 smokes the 7mm in EVERY single catagory, except recoil.
The big 30 has Less wind drift, more energy, oh, & that silly physics thing about momentum..... Ya, the one with the most lugg nuts usually wins the wreck.... 30 cal 230Berger vs 7mm 180Berger... Run JBM on it.
3rd, you could do many different things, but for LR, the 338 trumps em all, so if your tired of that buddy of yours biting your heels & throwing stats at you, maybe the big .338 would simmer him down a bit. They're in a different league.
The big 30's still smoke the 7's, & if your a guy who is recoil.sensitave, the 7mm can get the job done, but its Not Gods gift to LR.
If it were me, I'd fix whatever issue there was with the big 30, & then go shoot a bigger Elk, at longer range than my buddy.:D

Just incase you didn't notice, I'm not a 7mm fan. I'm very bias, for my own reasons. Id use a larger caliber for 1k on Elk, & put a brake on it.
But hey, that's my opinion. I know of folks who use 7mm's & like them. That's thier opinion.

1st, it looks as tho your no where near what the Wby will push.
How long is the barrel? You should be way faster than where your at.
2nd, it sounds like your buddy is throwing stats at you, bragging on how much better his 7mm is.....
Well, if you compare 180gr to 180gr, ya it wins on paper. But if you compare optimal bullet to optimal bullet the 300 smokes the 7mm in EVERY single catagory, except recoil.
The big 30 has Less wind drift, more energy, oh, & that silly physics thing about momentum..... Ya, the one with the most lugg nuts usually wins the wreck.... 30 cal 230Berger vs 7mm 180Berger... Run JBM on it.
3rd, you could do many different things, but for LR, the 338 trumps em all, so if your tired of that buddy of yours biting your heels & throwing stats at you, maybe the big .338 would simmer him down a bit. They're in a different league.
The big 30's still smoke the 7's, & if your a guy who is recoil.sensitave, the 7mm can get the job done, but its Not Gods gift to LR.
If it were me, I'd fix whatever issue there was with the big 30, & then go shoot a bigger Elk, at longer range than my buddy.:D

Just incase you didn't notice, I'm not a 7mm fan. I'm very bias, for my own reasons. Id use a larger caliber for 1k on Elk, & put a brake on it.
But hey, that's my opinion. I know of folks who use 7mm's & like them. That's thier opinion.
I am a 7mm fan but Winmag hit it dead nuts! your 300 wby will kill circles around that 7 rum, if you want more gun get a big 338

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.