WTHELLO Are They Eating?

Not entirely. I remember being shocked taking my first course in WildLife Management when we read a paper on deer eating mice.

Generally yes they are herbivorous but they will eat meat opportunistically particularly if they are starving for proteins or certain other nutrients.
Well I'll be a blue-nosed gopher. Ain't never heard of such a thing. I guess you learn something new every day if you're not careful.

Looked over leaf pile and yep nothing but leaves.
20B2ED6E-65E3-4A38-A38C-ADB73C8D1E25.jpeg

There is so much food everywhere that is why this is such a head scratcher. There is Ag field 100 yards away they have torn up and you see them piled in there. I have about 2.5 acres managed into browse area and they slam that as well. So maybe there is a natural hallucinogen in the leaf pile? They can be so weird in what they do at times!

There is so much food everywhere that is why this is such a head scratcher. There is Ag field 100 yards away they have torn up and you see them piled in there. I have about 2.5 acres managed into browse area and they slam that as well. So maybe there is a natural hallucinogen in the leaf pile? They can be so weird in what they do at times!
Odd. Maybe just some fungus/bacteria that smells and tastes good you just can't see.

This may seem weird but you might consider scratching around the pile like a deer then get down on hands and knees and see what you smell. If there's a rich, musty, kind of inviting odor I think you'll have your answer.

Do I really want to respond to this?😂
Think of the odor of fresh tilled soil. What you're actually smelling is the actinomycetes bacteria and various fungi.

When you pile up any vegetation and let it sit for a while it makes silage. Fermentation process starts and makes it very edible to animals. Cows would pass up hay if there was silage instead. It digests easily and even has a slight alcohol content. We used to cut and chop sorghum for silage for cows and the deer would be waiting for it in the winter. I have also seen whitetail eat baby robins out of a low nest.

I get the fermentation process since I helped a local farmer chop corn for silage and run into silo. That's another story on moonshine! The problem I see is these leaves were from November timeline and on top so no chance for anything to develop in December January temperatures. They are not really digging down but just surface feeding if the fresh put leaves.

Muddy....have you been smoking those leaves ....and seeing more Deer AGAIN?

Recent Posts