WSSM barrels

Sharpshooter243

Ok, here is what I'm thinking. I want a fast hard hitting AR-15 for 500m to 1000m hunting. I'm thinking either a 243WSSM or 6.5WSSM. Anyone know who makes these calibers in a AR platform. Just want the barrel and bolt. I can put the rest together

I am pondering a 6.5WSSM also. There does not seem to be many of them out there.
I have PM'ed a couple guys on different forums that have one, and have not gotten a response, I want to talk to someone that has one.

Should be a great round for taking anything up to elk size critters.

Black Hole Weaponry is doing a new magnum upper for the AR-15 just to handle the WSSM, but they are starting with the 223, and the 243 WSSM, I am trying to talk them into a 6.5 WSSM.

Last edited:
Talk to Mike at D-Tech, great guy and great service. Takes a while to get your new toy, but worth the wait. Olympic is coming out with a new lower and mags that will allow to load @ 2.42 OAL if my memory serves me right.
I'm thinking about one as well.

The ranges you mention are not practical for AR15 WSSM hunting for anything over small game if fed from the magazine. . The rifles will shoot that far no doubt, but if you were to hunt deer or antelope for example, you would have a problem in the AR15 platform unless you single load the rounds.

The problem is the short magazine length. To get game killing performance at those ranges for deer size animals you have to use heavy bullets, which when seated to magazine length, will consume case capacity and limit the cartridge performance due to less powder. You can do it better with a bolt action with a longer magazine. In the 6.5 WSSM you would need to shoot 140 gr bullets which will consume a lot of the case.

I have the 243 WSSM, 25 WSSM, 6mmAR, 6mmARturbo 40, and the 6 BRX each in and AR15 and would not recommend any for deer beyond around 450 yards.

I have the 300 SAUM in AR10 that will get to around 800 yards if you use the 1000 foot pounds of energy rule.

By the way, 450 yards is still "long range" in my book, even though I have taken deer at over 1,000 yards, but with bigger calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.