Wow! What a bore scope reveals.

royinidaho

Had the barrel removed from a REM factory 338 Win. Got to messing around with the smith's bore scope. Wow!

Approximately 400 rounds down the barrel. It was shooting real well. On the order of 1/4 MOA @ 100 and 200 yds.

Observations:

1) Wipe Out really works. Bore was completely non copper.

2) Where the rifling/bore was smooth it was really smooth.

3)Cracking at the throat was just beginning.

4) There were rough spots, chips/gouges, all over the place. Random locations. BTW, no such stuff in my Lilja, it's smoother than a new born baby's butt...

5) one groove had a more than readily visible groove/scratch the complete length of the rifling.

I've been looking for a reason that I couldn't get really good ESs and SDs with any load which is why groups were so small @ 200 but vertical stringing was enough @ 800 that it was just luck to hit the steel yote. Wonder if roughness was a factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Roy,

It is amazing, and sometimes quite disheartining, just what a Hawkeye bore scope will tell you. I purchased one about a year ago and have "scoped" just about every bore I own and a bunch at the local gun shop. This tool falls into the "be careful of what you wish for" category and has resulted in the sale of at least one rifle that was shooting 1/2 minute groups; but not for much longer... I also discovered that the throat and about the first three inches of my Krieger barrel chambered in 6.5 Baer (with <250 rounds) look like a dry lake bed, and I can see cubic dollars floating away in the near future.

I too have used it to inspect the results of my bore cleaning efforts. Next time you need to look at a bore I can save you sixty miles of driving...

So, when are we going to hear about the groups from that new Lilja barrel?

Craig, in SE Idaho

"Next time you need to look at a bore I can save you sixty miles of driving..."

Dang Roy , what a good deal , a borescope at your beck and call.

Mr . Dodd , there is a place for sale just down the road from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Whats that ? you don't want to leave such a great hunting /shooting state as Idaho and move to Arkansas ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You all be sure and pass on what you learn with that thing . Maybe even do a study from new to going over the hill on a individual bbl ..

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.