wounding deer

GuroChris

Foot of the Blue Ridge in the shadow of Gun Mtn
So, Muzzle loader season opened yesterday. I couldn't get to the hunting property til today and won't be able to hunt til probably wed.

I pulled the cards from the cameras and saw this photo.

WGI_0115.JPG

I have several preseason photos of this buck. He is a very nice buck for the area and someone wounded him. Likely the coyotes are gonna get him. Sucks to see this happen.
The woods here are pretty thick and its unlikely that this shot was more than 50 yards.

Its late now but Please pass the word to your friends that don't shoot as much as the members here, off season practice is vital not only for success but for humane killing.

Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the season.

It's absolutely amazing to see how much physical damage an animal can endure and survive. It's not like they can trot off to Urgent Care.

Deer/car collisions result in some very serious injuries, but deer tend to mend up even when they are mangled. It's always sad to see.

Same story, every AO, every year. Either this, or an arrow hanging out of a deer, or both…

For my last 30 years of hunting, I have seen a steady increase of these types of incidents.

Society is comprised of unprincipled people as the majority, and it is increasing.

Best guess is they took a shot as he was running away, grazed his hind quarter and destroyed his left front quarter. I'm obviously assuming. Poor decision, poor shooting.
I agree with your assessment. I have friends, a married couple, who are new to hunting this year, sent them this photo for a learning opportunity so they don't try to take shots they aren't sure of. Too late to fume over it but hopefully someone learns something about restraint from it. Even if it isn't the person who took the shot.

Last year I had a buck walk in front of me on three legs with the fourth tore up, the year before that my dad saw one with a chunk out of his rear hind quarter. God only knows what we'll see again to clean up this year. An absolute shame. I blame the shooter and sometimes the marketing departments of certain manufacturers for instilling over confidence in a rifle that's barely used just because the components are decent....

First, its amazing what they can survive. On 3 still be able to handle yotes. We had doe we called Gimpy on 3 that was around for 3 years. She was tougher than nails. Nobody messed with her. She was gimpy as heck but when she needed to she could turn it up a whole bunch.

That looks like a failed Texas heart shot which for life of me I can't wrap my head around. Gonna shoot a delicious hindquarter? Incredibly tough to send one up the chute and BTW makes a mess.