wood stoves

NYSHUNTER

Does anyone have any experience with wood burning titanium stoves ( lite outdoors, Ti Goat, Kirafru , Seek Outside , Ed t'S)

Cylinder, Box or Oval shapes?

Any info at all will help ...

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with wood burning titanium stoves ( lite outdoors, Ti Goat, Kirafru , Seek Outside , Ed t'S)

Thanks
I have a 16" Et T cyl. stove that I like and use allot.Plus he is a great guy to work with.
I think that the new T I Goat Wi Fi stoves are interesting but its hard to be Ed T.
What are you wanting to heat?

Seek Outside BCS-2 shelter.. I been looking at the ti goat for awhile now but before i pull the trigger I started getting feed back on ED's stoves and Lite outdoors

So now I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on which is a dependable model

I have the original emberlit stainless with the cross bars. I've only used it on a couple of trips and I did practicing in my backyard before my first trip. Once you get it going and get the hang of it, it works great. It'll certainly get water boiling faster than my gas stove.

A few things to note, they're hungry once the heat's roaring. You'll want a pile ready before lighting it to keep it fed. Also, I'm still learning with it, but it's a little challenging if you're trying to cook and don't want tons of heat. I'm getting better at this, though, through a combination of learning how/when to feed it so its not so hot, buy doesn't start to burn out, and keeping the pan (usually a small frying pan for me) lifted off the top by a few inches to control the heat when it appears to be getting to warm.

Hope this helps.

Edit: you may ignore this...I didn't realize the ones you've listed are heating stoves for tent/tipi...sorry.

I have looked at the ti cylinder stoves to save weight almost 1 pound. I have read that they don't boil water as well as a box stove. I have the seek out side large and would buy it again. It heated my 6 man tipi very well. Temp is usually around 10 degrees at night and 35 for a day time high. Most of my trips are around a week. I don't even pack a small stove any more for cooking. Some tricks are putting tin foil in front of the intake and closing the damper, been able to keep coals for a few hours. It puts off lot of heat with in a few minutes of lighting it. Easy start up it drafts really well.

I suggest that Inconel is a far superior material for a stove than Titanium. If you are able to get some Haynes 214 even better...

This place has sheet in Alloy 625 Alloy 625 Scroll down past plate and bar stock to sheet. They will sell you just what you want. Inconel runs about $15/kg in commodity trading, then you have to add the cost of working it into flat stock + everyone's margin.

It can be laser cut, water jet cut or in desparation cut with a cutoff wheel. It is extremely heat resistant so it is different to regular steel. It can be white hot and still has a lot of strength whereas steel is like a wet noodle at that point,

I use wood burning stoves quite a bit. They are my first choice on any trip that's 3+ days long.

My favorite all around stove is the Caldera Cone Ti-Tri made by Trail Designs. It's a great system for 1 to 4 people, and will burn wood, alcohol, or esbit tablets.

For solo or lightweight 2 person trips, I've been taking the Backcountry Boiler. It's really light and compact and very efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use wood burning stoves quite a bit. They are my first choice on any trip that's 3+ days long.

My favorite all around stove is the Caldera Cone Ti-Tri made by Trail Designs. It's a great system for 1 to 4 people, and will burn wood, alcohol, or esbit tablets.

For solo or lightweight 2 person trips, I've been taking the Backcountry Boiler. It's really light and compact and very efficient.

What's up with the editing? Are you not allowed to put links to other web pages in posts?

Snake,

These guys, including the OP, are talking about IN-TENT stoves use for both cooking and heating.

You and I have the Trail Designs Ti stoves (mine is a Sidewinder for a 3 cup pot) and when used with the optional Inferno insert it becomes a highly efficient "gassifier" stove that burns gasses that escape from ordinary wood stoves. Our stoves and other gassifiers like the Canadian made Bush Buddy are very hot burning stoves that require less fuel. BUT our stoves must always be used outdoors.

After checking out other wood stoves for backpacking I have found our Caldera Cone wood burning stoves are by far the most efficient. In fact that also holds true when using alcohol or ESBIT tablets. In ESBIT mode with a Brian Green's Blog modified tablet holder I now use nearly half as much ESBIT as I did with previous stoves. Go to Brian's website for instructions on how to make his tablet holder.

I'd also like info on the titanium wood burning stoves intended to heat tipi style tents. I'm seriously thinking about making the switch from a standard dome to a heated tipi.

Goggle "Hill People Gear". Little heavier than some of the others, but sure nice to set up. They have a video. Pretty slick idea.

I use a Seek 4 person tipi with a medium stove. Only had it out a few time during late season and it doesn't take long to get heated up in the mornings.

Thanks

Thought I'd weigh in. I've used a medium Kifaru box stove. It folds flat and that's a plus. Heats a tent in no time. The flat top has it's advantages as well in that a stove needs to be firmly anchored to the ground so the wind doesn't blow the pipe a little wonky, resulting in the stove kicking out and and spewing it's contents in the tent, setting your world on fire. If you can't get the feet of the stove stuck into the ground firmly, you can put a heavy rock on top of the flat top to stabilize things. I've been able to stick the feet of my stove firmly into the ground so I use the top of the stove to place my cooking pot on. You get a nice simmer working. Because your not wasting canister fuel, you can watch your food cook at a leisurely pace and reduce the water to your liking. I also have some kind of alternative cooking stove like a Jet Boil or something because you can only get so much stuff on that stove top and in the morning, I'm a little more pressed for time so I don't want to wait for a cup of coffee. When using a tent stove, there's definitely a weight penalty. You got the stove, pipe, stove jack sewn into your tent and all the room that stuff takes up in your pack. Generally speaking, a tent that accommodates a stove might be a little on the heavier side too. The up side is that when getting back after dark from a full day in the field, you don't necessarily need to quick, make your dinner and jump into your bag cause your wet and cold from sweating and your tent is just slightly warmer that outside. You can start your stove, take off your boots, coat, heavy shirt, wet pants and basically get comfortable in your long johns and a pair of camp shoes and relax in the tent that way for couple hours. With the stove going, you can put some water on and wash yourself including your hair, tend to your feet, make tomorrows lunch in advance, fill your canteen/bladder, change batteries if necessary, all in the relative comfort of a 60 or 70 degree tent. Course all that extra comfort like soap, water, filters is all extra weight. I've hung my damp/wet clothes in the tent hoping they would dry too but realistically, it's a lot to ask when your only heating your tent for a little while till you crawl into your bag for the night and put out the fire. No... you don't keep a fire going when your out cold and in your bag. You don't want to be sleeping when something bad happens like the stove being knocked over due to high winds and coals being strewn through your nylon tent. With a stove, you'll need wood and that usually means something to take big pieces and make them smaller. Maybe you can find enough sticks to break over your knee but a good hand saw and hatchet will help process wood for some wasteful comfort. A saw and hatchet are heavy.

My advice... unless your totally miserable, you don't need all that comfort. A guy can have a nice base camp next to his truck and spike for a night or two and come "home" for a night to resupply and do it again. I have a mule that carries the extra weight, that I lead in, including her food so the weight doesn't hurt as much as it normally would. Also, if I kill something, somebody has to carry it out. The mule is full. The meat goes on my back. If you don't have a mule, it'll probably mean at least two trips to get it all out unless your going with someone else. I guess point being... a hot tent is nice but heavy(ier). For multiple people, backpack hot tents could work. For the solo hunter, it could be a grind.

I have a Seek Outside large Ti box stove that I use in my 6-man SO tipi. My hunting buddy and i have used it several times and once on an elk hunt in CO. They can be a little fussy to put together until you get them broken-in and get a little practice. We do all of our cooking on the stove and it heats the tipi extremely well. In fact, we typically have to open up the front and rear flaps to ventilate. Depending on the type of wood used, they will burn for 30 minutes or so and keep coals for abut an hour. It is a stick stove so, you have to stoke it often to keep it going. We usually let it burn out after we retire for the evening, otherwise, it is too hot for comfort.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.