Wonder from where or who comes up with these ideas?

I saw one savage m12 that had a foot long section of barrel with no rifling on one half side of the bore……. Needless to say it did not shoot well!!😁. Savage did replace that rifle to their credit, sent a complete new rifle to the guy. Just goes to show its not worth their time to replace a barrel…..
Most of the savages I have looked at have a crooked chamber too, enough to see it clearly in the throat. One particular 6.5x284 I looked at after having inconsistent results looking for bullet jump, one side of the chamber had the rifling come all the way up to the case neck, zero throat and very, very little lead. The other side had significant freebore ha ha.

Most of the savages I have looked at have a crooked chamber too, enough to see it clearly in the throat. One particular 6.5x284 I looked at after having inconsistent results looking for bullet jump, one side of the chamber had the rifling come all the way up to the case neck, zero throat and very, very little lead. The other side had significant freebore ha ha.
That would be from using solid piloted reamers, common in factory rifles. Back to attention to detail, i only use live piloted reamers and for each caliber i have a set of at least 10 different sized bushings that are 0.0002" different in diameter so the pilots can be perfectly matched to the bore diameter of each rifle. These are also used on center cutters and crowning tooling as well so that barrel shanks, barrel threads and barrel shoulders come out perfectly aligned and squared to the bore of the barrel and crowns are perfectly concentric as well. There are no factory builders that do this, takes to much set up time to do it right……

I'm just trying to come up with any reason why a wood core makes sense. I can't imagine it is a cost saving measure and dissimilar materials are begging for separation issues. I've purchased cheap rifles before and none of them are still in my safes other than a Ruger 10/22. That Ruger is my dedicated armadillo rifle right now.
Or... a 22"-24" pencil thin barrel.