Wolf down

Brent i have two remington 700 6.5-284s they shoot really really good. one is too heavy for hunting though. one is sendero weight. i have used them on coues at long range. my 7mm mag sendero/ krieger barrel, shilen trigger i feel would be even better though. it shoots as good as the 6.5s. and with 140s i get 3300 fps , faster and flatter than the 168s. Ron

I use to be 90% bowhunter...even bowhunted during our rifle seasons, which is loong. Some times I packed the TC along for longer shot opportunities. My bowhunting passion is still there, but I can feel the long range stuff pushing that passion to the side. I could be chasing deer and or hogs right now during the rest of this month, but all I can think about is shooting wolves... mostly long distance. I built a long range coyote rifle in 22-243AI loaded with 80 gr Amaxes @3558 fps that sure does reach out there and get coyotes...and thought about using it on wolves. I know that getting a wolf in your sights is the super hard part vs the caliber choice.. but you sure don't want to blow your few and far in between shot opportunities if you get them. The 6.5 prc. has gotten me to thinking a lot. Hmmmm....
That's why I pack it instead of anything else. I used the 6.5-284 for years. Killed 11 wolves with it. The prc is basically the same but in a more compact version. A buddy built a 6 prc so we'll see how it does. I like the bc for weight of the 6.5 tho. Nice blend. That 135 a tip is no joke. Killed one at 750 and one at 38. Several yotes 350-550

If I tackled a wolf adventure this year, I thought I'd also bring my factory Tikka T3 Hunter 7mm mag for starters... mostly because i can make 140 's shoot up around 3200 fps in a factory 24 " barrel... and that it would be light in carry weight... and it's my only left handed big caliber rifle... and it's dialed up for at least 700 yds. My 22-243 AI is a little heavier platform... but i could tote it if need me. But I am always looking for a good excuse for another rifle/caliber combo designed for a dedicated purpose.
[h3][/h3]

Mpa, xlr, mdt. Might be others. Mine is mdt. I modified it a lot to get the weight to 2.5-3lbs and I think xlr and mpa are already at that weight.
The XLR 3.0 magnesium is 28 oz if you go with the carbon fiber buttstock,

The XLR 3.0 magnesium is 28 oz if you go with the carbon fiber buttstock,
Yes but that is not with a folding stock if I recall. My stock is a folder and locks. Adjustable lop and rise. It seems to me when I looked into my options they were all about the same with similar options. If I didn't have the mdt already I'd gone with one of the others.

Yes but that is not with a folding stock if I recall. My stock is a folder and locks. Adjustable lop and rise. It seems to me when I looked into my options they were all about the same with similar options. If I didn't have the mdt already I'd gone with one of the others.
the folding adapter is 4.9 oz

The advantage of the folding stock is ease of carry for packing into the hinterlands?

The advantage of the folding stock is ease of carry for packing into the hinterlands?
Yea and no. I use a eberlestock pack and when the barrel is down I fold, so the stock is not up as high. When I carry barrel up I fold the scabbard in so it doesn't hang down. Now with the stock folded it sits in the scabbard which is now flush with the bottom of my pack. This is the main purpose because I can now sit on saddle, dirt bike, snowmobile, and snow bike without interference. otherwise the folder is not really needed unless a person just wants the compactness

Not true! You can hunt them year 'round - as many as you want - no tags required. Considered vermin just like coyotes - as long as you aren't in the Yellowstone protected zone - resident or non-res. We have them here in Laramie County. I've seen 5 now in the past 2 years less than 5 miles from town while antelope hunting in 38 and 34.
You are correct. No lic, no tag, in state or out of state, any time of the year except Yellowstone area

Ok Brent tell us about the one at 38, I see it went over their heads like a sweater......... listening for a story
I was hunting a new area that I've known had wolf activity. I was able get them to respond but it was very faint and I don't have the beat hearing. A couple hours later I got lucky and called from the right spot and I was super close. I was semi in the middle of the pack so I tried to get in the middle. It worked, this one came hauling off of the side of the hill and I set up quick in the direction I thought she would be, boom. Luck was on my side.