Wolf Article in F-F-G, Worth a Look.....

MtPockets

I don't know how many on here get Fur-Fish-Game Magazine, but there is an excellent article about wolves in the Jan '19 issue.
The author, Jack Whitman, has been a wildlife researcher and trapper in Idaho, Alaska, and even in Russia since the 70's, so I would think he knows a thing or two.
I won't quote everything he said, but he talks about seeing wolf tracks in Idaho in the 70's- several years before the reintroduction, but that it gave the wolves a big boost and are now overly abundant in many areas.
He also talks about the so called "super-wolf", and says that after handling several hundred wolves the biggest he knows of went 136 pounds.
Probably the most disturbing news, to me, was that a pack will in fact produce more than one litter of pups in a year. He explains that given that more than one female can have a litter of 4-7 pups each, a pack can grow from 5-6 to 20 or more in a single year!

That makes the Montana FWP Area 313 quota of only 2 even more absurd.

Like I said, it is an excellent article written with a common sense and hard earned knowledge that is sometimes hard to find today.

I took his wolf education/trapping class in October and learned a bunch. and yes, there's always been wolves in Idaho, they were never an extinct species here. In 1984 I saw my first two while elk hunting on the Montana/Idaho state line. We had only seen a couple more in the next 10 years or so. Last year, I saw 4 but in a pretty populated area. Yep, it's getting out of control and I hope to do my part and remove a few. Season's open!

I've shot a 73 and 77# coyote so I would think that the 136# might be his experience and it probably is vast. However just like an 7' tall person there are portions of the gene pool he hasn't encountered for size. In the same area I shot those 2 another 72# female was shot and the Vt F&G confirmed it was a pure coyote not a hybred

Last edited:
Theres alot of absurdity going on in the Montana F@G right now.
It's interesting that Montana guys like to complain about wolves and how many elk they kill, but don't see a problem with F&G conducting elk hunts from August through February. mtmuley

It's interesting that Montana guys like to complain about wolves and how many elk they kill, but don't see a problem with F&G conducting elk hunts from August through February. mtmuley
Where did I ever say I agreed with the shoulder seasons, get your facts straight.

Where did I ever say I agreed with the shoulder seasons, get your facts straight.
Fact is I didn't single you out. Didn't even mention you. I agree with what you said. Another fact, it's not just shoulder seasons that are in question. mtmuley

Fact is I didn't single you out. Didn't even mention you. I agree with what you said. Another fact, it's not just shoulder seasons that are in question. mtmuley
Wolf season should be 24-7-365, no quotas. The pelts aren't worth what it costs to get one.
As far a shoulder season being in question. Do you think that archery season is to long or ?
Hunting quality has gone WAY down in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming...other states soon to fallow- if it isn't happening already.
I'm having a tuff time seeing your intentions with your opening post. Please explain

It's well documented that canines have the ability to reproduce to the level that the environment will support. Don't ask me how they know all that but they can. This is why hunting and trapping generally have little appreciable affect on the overall population. Disease and poisoning... now that's a different story.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.