Wisdom needed new mexico unit 51,49

338 LEGEND

Has any one hunted elk in these units in new mexico? and if so how about giving some wisdom up on camping and hunting in these units? any good places to set up camp? had a great hunt last year in unit 36 and hopeing for more of the same this year. Thanks

No guide just me and a freind, never been over in the 16's. Whats the country like? whats the herd like there.

Can not remember which unit I hunted in New Mexico a few years ago but it was in the hills to the East and to the South of Cuba.

A mate and I did a self guided hunt for Mule deer and saw a heap of Mule deer does but no Bucks. I think the locals poached all the bucks?

Anyway what we did see was heaps of Elk!!! They were up in the higher areas in the North end of the unit. We had no Elk tags but we had a lot of fun stalking up real close to the Bulls and scaring the **** out of them.

You should have seen the look in their eyes when you stand up at 15 yards with a rifle and say "Boo". Man I sure would have liked to have shot one of those big Bulls but if I ever draw a tag I will know where to go.

We camped out of the back of a hire car 4x4. We took a small tent and cooker and bought food at Cuba. The bush is safer than the town. Stay out of town!!!

Watch out for the derro's hanging out in the drain near the Food mart, they realy put the wind up us asking for money and trying to sell us knives etc. They even offered to take us up poaching Deer and Elk which we pollitely declined.

The store manager is a keen hunter and he called the cops to move them on. He then showed up his collection of hunting photo's. Top bloke!

Later one of the Derro's pulled a knife on a man filling up at a fuel store up the road when we were also filling up! The mans mate in the passenger seat pulled out a pistol and the derro ran off.

This was my first trip to the U.S. and I had only been in the country two days. After this either me or my mate stayed inside the car with a rifle while the other one did the shopping.

Sorry for the late answer but my computer went wild and i been waiting for my new one. well the area is large mountains and tall pines to open mesa's. 16B is a wilderness hunt spot so you would need your walking shoes or horses. You can get local guides to pack you in and then bring you back out if you get anything. But the are good spots laround 16B like north star mesa where you can get to the elk on 4x4's. 16A is really nice if you like to road hunt or want to see tons of elk. all the 16's have good herds with good to great bulls. last year in the middle fork of the wilderness we saw a HUGE bull, i missed but i will be after him again this year if i am lucky enough to draw there again. If you hunt with a muzz you would love to hunt 15 where there are some really nice bulls and cow hunts, that area is no rifle's allowed so it a muzz hunters heaven.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/unitmaps/2006/gmu16b.pdf

Don;t know much about 49 but I have pulled several bulls and several bear from 51. Which hunt do you have?

That depends a lot on what and where.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.