Wisconsin Tragedy

I hunt that area. I saw the ambulances and the cop cars hurrying by. It chills my bones to know that that happened so close. My prayers are for the families and the deceased. A **** shame.

A sad tragedy indeed. One of the wounded is now dead for a total of 6. What the local TV station is saying is that one of the wounded memorized his tag number. He didn't change into camo. He walked about 40 yards turned and opened fire.
One can only speculate on what was said, but to provoke a response like that..... Anyway the TV station also gave everyone a refresher course on hunting eddicate.
There is a found setup for the families don't know it at this time but I can get it if anyone is interested.

I am a land owner and I'm about half afraid to confront tresspassers. I have staked signs and warnings posted everywhere but that don't stop some. About 1:30 this morning I heard a dog barking and got dressed. I also heard a couple of gunshots before I went out doors. I turned on a very powerful spotlight and shined a hunter about 75 yards from my home. I told him he was on private property and he acknowledged that he may have wondered "a little over" the line but he called off the dog and left. This is not the first time this has happened and most likely won't be the last. What gets me is the house is in plain view, well lit at night, and still they come close and fire a weapon without regard for my safety as well as violate numerous laws. Something wrong somewhere. In my area of the state, several reports of livestock shot and killed but few arrests other than hunters attempting to check in a horse or goat. This is not the first for Wisconsin either. I believe one year during dear season I was visiting my son who lives in Milwaukee and picked up a Sunday paper which said the accidental shooting deaths in the state was nine. Something wrong there too. We as the shooting public have total control over this and I realize the vast, vast majority are responsible. But somehow we must stop terrible events like this. What a joyous time of outdoor companionship turned very, very bad. Breaks my heart.
db

maybe there is something to be said for this german jagdschein (hunting licence) takes about 8 months to do the course and keeps the idiots away.
Pete

Hunting with a sks this outta be a great push for our anti-gunner buddies despite what promted him to kill them.
They will only view the results, 5 dead at the hands of a crased gun man with an ASSAULT rifle key word here being assault.
This will not go over good for the rest of us.

[ 11-24-2004: Message edited by: daveosok ]

I have land in Wis and after kicking off the 8th person on my posted land one year I could barley keep my temper and said some harsh things. I can amagine that land owner said some not so cool things too. However that gives u no right to shoot him (and 5 others) What a horrible thing to happen.
On my land there is 2 rules never aproch a tresspaser unarmed and always out number them, this seems to calm things down.

As for the people way north in Wis let me tell u this story. A freind of mine went near Cable Wis bow hunting and while in a tree he wittnest a man poaching. Not knowing what to do at that time he just froze. Well he was spotted and the ever so freindly poacher shot him with a large cal. rifle in the arm hitting his artery after falling out of his tree and playing dead so he would not get shot agin he finnaly made it to the hospital and the damage was so bad they amputated his arm.....Now I dont want to genaralize but I spent 3 months a year my whole life up in northern Wis and I can tell u yhese people are very seriose about there hunting. And do not always take kindley to others.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.