Winter Kill:

HARPERC

Just looking out the window thinking about the fate of local game populations.

We were just about at a spot to build from, but it's not looking good from here.

I'm seeing reports from Idaho, Wyoming, Utah etc., It's not looking good.

Looking like more of a points only year in many of the units I apply for.

Spring bear may be the best hunt of the bunch this year.

Our winter has been a tough one so far. Been a lot colder with more snow than the past few years. I've been wondering/worried about big game animals around here too. Wy fish and game also has noted its a harder winter than normal. Not going to be good. Bruce

HARPERC

Yeah being from Spokane myself I've always been a little worried we'd have another Winter like in 1968 were it seemed everything died. The snow just kept piling up until it was at 4 feet. I found hundreds of deer carcasses that Spring. I left home right about then so don't know how long it took to recover.

I wasn't here in 1968, but that one seems to have been tough all over as well.

I haven't been out in it much, but it's stayed cold, and I don't think the snow is crusted over like some years. Maybe that will help the critters.

They should have been in good shape going in, and snow started a bit later than usual, so maybe we'll get lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.