Winchester 70, new barrel?

harald70

1st post from me:)

I have a Win 70 Classic Laredo LRH in 7mm STW. Earlier this year I got a Broughton barrel 1:9 twist, 32" lenght 1,25" contour.

Will it be a waste off a good barrel to put it on this reciver?

I am hunting deer and moose out to 45oyards now, but it is not as accurat as I hope. I get 8" groups with 3 shoots at 450yards with 140TSX bullets.

If I put on this new barrel will I get better accuracy, or do I have to do something to the reciver too?

I have been reading this great forum for some time:) it is really great!

Hope you understand my Norwinglish;)

Last edited:
I don't know what contour you mentioned other than it is 1.25". Do you mean 1.250" straight or breech is 1.250"? Contour doesn't really matter unless your going to try to hang a 32" 1.250" straight diameter barrel from just the action. For a 1.250" straight you really should have a barrel block, the action will not be able to support that much weight hanging from the receiver threads.

If your having a new barrel installed now is the time to have the action blueprinted. Be sure you have it done though by someone who knows how to do it correctly. I've seen alot of actions that were claimed to have been blueprinted, but when set up in my fixture and dialed in to run concentric with the centerline of the action through hole they were out several thousandths. Even some custom actions aren't always true.
It would be best to have the action pillar bedded or at the least full action bedded with the barrel free floated.

Accuracy is determined by several factors. The action must be of good quality. The barrel must be chambered and crowned properly with alignment off of the barrels bore. The action should be bedded and the barrel free floated. The optics must be good quality and the rings and bases should provide no stress on the scope tube. The trigger should be of a smooth crisp pull and be conisitent. Your loading components, equipment and procedures should be that as if you were a competetive target shooter. A good solid shooting position and practice, practice, practice will make for good accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.