Win model 70 question

Thanks for all the input guys. I attempted to sell the receiver/barrel etc. and didn't have any luck. So I guess I will be rebarreling this gun. Still unsure what caliber. I have a 280 AI and 7mm mag so that renders the 7mm-08 obsolete though we lack short actions in our arsenal. Maybe another 35 Whelan or 338 06? Decisions decision...... maybe I'll sell the 6.5-06 and rebarrel this one to 6.5x284?

A 257 Roberts or the improved would be a nice addition anywhere or a 6.5-280 ackley get you 6.5 prs performance

Last edited:
I'll go with the assumption that anything on RCBS shel holder #3 (its the one for 308 and 30.06) should match with the boltface. There are 32 cartridges under that. Pick one you dont have and like and go to town!

Can you take a standard action (30-06) and rebarrel to a short action caliber with a short action bolt? Or does the receiver/magazine need altered?

Back story: I've got all pre 64 parts to put together a rifle. It's a 30-06 and I already have 3 so I'm in search of another caliber to rebarrel this too. 7mm 08 anyone?
The only thing I would think necessary would be to have a smith move the bolt stop and maybe shorten the mag box.

The best answer is call a gunsmith you are confident in and ask what they would suggest.

25-06 for me, THE most underrated cartridge there is. Kills animals way bigger than it should with ease.
That is what I would re-barrel too.

Cheers.

25-06 for me, THE most underrated cartridge there is. Kills animals way bigger than it should with ease.
That is what I would re-barrel too.

Cheers.
Yup. My dad has hunted with 25-06 for 30 years. He likes to compare kill shots to a 120 gr Partition out of the 25-06 because they just DROP. Everyone single deer/elk/antelope bang flop.

The only parts you will need to change a pre 64 Winchester from a long action 30-06 type cartridge to a shorter 308 Winchester type cartridge is a short action bolt stop ring, a short action ejector, a magazine box with a baffle, a short action follower and spring. In the past it was more easy to find the parts on eBay but today they don't show up as often and are more expensive. Just watch eBay for the parts you need.

It's also easy for a good gunsmith to change a pre 64 barrel and the cost today to purchase a used 308 Winchester barrel is about $100 and another $125 to have it installed by a gunsmith.