Win model 70 question

lhedrick1

Can you take a standard action (30-06) and rebarrel to a short action caliber with a short action bolt? Or does the receiver/magazine need altered?

Back story: I've got all pre 64 parts to put together a rifle. It's a 30-06 and I already have 3 so I'm in search of another caliber to rebarrel this too. 7mm 08 anyone?

The pre 64 model 70 was offered in .22 Hornet and I believe it was on a long action. There are others that will chime in to confirm. I have seen one in .257 Roberts and I know it was a long action.

Let met add something more, the bolt face would accomodate many cartridges, inclooding the 7mm08, but then you will have to make other modifcations, whereas if you stay with something based n the 06 cartridge, the modifications are minimal. If you want more power, you get an "Improved" version and make sure you get a fast twist barrel.

Last edited:
It will work just fine. You CAN make up a spacer for the rear of the mag box so the cartridge sits a little forward, this is what the factory did, but you have to change the follower and spring to suit, sometimes the bolt stop will need lengthening, but not on all rifles.

Cheers.

I guess it'd be simpler to tell you what I have....

.243, 25-06, 6.5 man bun, 6.5-06, 6.5x55, 270, 280 AI, 7mm mag, 30-06 x3, 300 H&H x2, 300 Winny, 300 Norma, 8 mm mauser, 338 Winny, 338-06, 35 Whelan, 375 H&H.

7mm-08 is really the only (unnecessarily) cartridge we don't have.
Another couple of options are the 7x57 and the 7x64.

Can you take a standard action (30-06) and rebarrel to a short action caliber with a short action bolt? Or does the receiver/magazine need altered?

Back story: I've got all pre 64 parts to put together a rifle. It's a 30-06 and I already have 3 so I'm in search of another caliber to rebarrel this too. 7mm 08 anyone?
I would chamber it with a long throated 6.5 creedmore for 156 gr berger EOL bullet. That would match your bolt face. You should be able to get 2500 fps velocity. I don't have a 6.5 creed but you may want to reach out to Bean since he seems to be the new 6.5 creed guru on this sight. (-:

My vote would be 280AI. There are a lot of choices on bullets and you can shoot 280 Remington in a pinch. It needs only a propery throated barrel to gain some distance with heavier bullets.

Really like the 280 AI but we have one. A Montana Rifle X3 and is probably the softest and most accurate rifle we own. Them guys did great when they were in business.

Thought about the 280 Remington or 6.5x284 but they're so similar to calibers we have.

It will work just fine. You CAN make up a spacer for the rear of the mag box so the cartridge sits a little forward, this is what the factory did, but you have to change the follower and spring to suit, sometimes the bolt stop will need lengthening, but not on all rifles.

Cheers.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^