Win Mod.70 - Ream Chamber to Weatherby Caliber?

Lexington

I have a Stainless Win Model 70 (CRF, Ultimate Shadow model) in 7mm Rem Mag that I want to convert to 7mm Wby Mag.

Hoping to get suggestions/tips/advice from others who have had chambers reamed/ done Weatherby conversions.

All metal parts on the rifle have been cerakoted. Is this going to complicate the process?

Will the gunsmith need to remove the barrel, or is this a process that can be done with everything in-tact?
Once the barrell is removed, should I have the gunsmith do any additional work? Lap the lugs, etc? Am I going to be forecd to buy a new barrel?

Right now the gun isn't the tightest grouping rifle.... what are the odds my accuracy will improve? I'm not a reloader - plan on using factory ammo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I originally purchased the rifle because it was the only one available in the state at the time (in Stainless steel), and I wanted the Magnum sized action for future conversions.

Thanks,
Lexington

I can't see spending the money on rechambering the factory barrel for a bit more performance of perhaps 100 fps. You will have gunsmithing fees, new brass, and dies and maybe some scuffed up cerakote on the barrel when it gets removed.

I looked at the chamber specifications of the 7 Rem mag vs the 7mm Weatherby. It appears the factory barrel will have to be set back to totally clean up the 7 Rem Mag chamber. This means the old extractor slot must be removed and a new one machined. I don't know the exact amount but it appears that the setback will end up being at least 1/2". The gap in the barrel channel will become larger.

Then there is the matter that it isn't shooting that well. If it were me I would have the rifle inspected by a gunsmith or an avid shooter to see if a problem can be found. A borescope inspection of the barrel looking at the throat, lands and grooves and crown would be worthwhile.

I think if you are going to the trouble to rechamber it would be best to have a new custom barrel installed and have the rifle gone through at the same time. This would be the time to have the action blueprinted before headspace is established with the new chamber.

Time is going to be a factor if you are considering hunting with it this fall. Ordering a barrel and finding a gunsmith to do the work can often take weeks.

I am sure others can add to this discussion. Hope I helped some.

I can't see spending the money on rechambering the factory barrel for a bit more performance of perhaps 100 fps. You will have gunsmithing fees, new brass, and dies and maybe some scuffed up cerakote on the barrel when it gets removed.

I looked at the chamber specifications of the 7 Rem mag vs the 7mm Weatherby. It appears the factory barrel will have to be set back to totally clean up the 7 Rem Mag chamber. This means the old extractor slot must be removed and a new one machined. I don't know the exact amount but it appears that the setback will end up being at least 1/2". The gap in the barrel channel will become larger.

Then there is the matter that it isn't shooting that well. If it were me I would have the rifle inspected by a gunsmith or an avid shooter to see if a problem can be found. A borescope inspection of the barrel looking at the throat, lands and grooves and crown would be worthwhile.

I think if you are going to the trouble to rechamber it would be best to have a new custom barrel installed and have the rifle gone through at the same time. This would be the time to have the action blueprinted before headspace is established with the new chamber.

Time is going to be a factor if you are considering hunting with it this fall. Ordering a barrel and finding a gunsmith to do the work can often take weeks.

I am sure others can add to this discussion. Hope I helped some.

Nothing to add. I think re-chambering will only add to your woes. A new barrel opens up possibilities of other cartridges. If you don't re-load the Weatherby ammo isn't always on the shelves, generally more expensive, and limited in choices.

Thanks for the suggestions -

I'm hoping to take one last-ditch effort before having to re-barrel.
One suggestion I've recieved is to ream the chamber for 7mm STW, remove the spacer at the end of the magazine box, then touch up the bolt stop & ejector.

I thought of mentioning rechambering for a larger sized cartridge which would dress up the existing chamber without the need for setback. Get the rifle tuned up at the same time and maybe it will be a shooter. At least you could accumulate the hard to find 7 STW brass by purchasing ammo if you ever decide to handload for it.

Please come back later and tell us what you did and your results.

Thanks for the suggestions -

I'm hoping to take one last-ditch effort before having to re-barrel.
One suggestion I've recieved is to ream the chamber for 7mm STW, remove the spacer at the end of the magazine box, then touch up the bolt stop & ejector.
I don't think that will be necessary since it's already a long magnum action.

A gunsmith should be able to settle that one for you but I think with the modern model 70's there's really just two action lengths. You could measure your existing mag box and see to be sure but I think you should be ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.