wilson neck die problems

shawnb

hey guys. i started using wilson hand dies and am having trouble with the neck die. so it says to use a bushing .003 smaller than loaded diameter.

my problem. loaded round measures .313 and when i use a .310 bushing the bullet still falls into to case. ive had to use a .308 bushing to get proper tension on the bullet so it doesnt move in the casing.

any thought?

what caliber
what brand of brass
what brand of bullet

have you checked more than one loaded round diameter?
have you checked a few bullets diameters?
are you using steel or titanium neck bushings?

we need more info

7mm rem with 168 bergers. norma brass checked over 20 loads all are 313 loaded. its the wilson SS bushings i believe.

although i dont use any norma brass, i would have to believe it is harder brass than rem or win brass. so it may just have to be neck sized tighter because it has stronger necks that spring back. have you had any problems using the .308 bushing?

hey guys. i started using wilson hand dies and am having trouble with the neck die. so it says to use a bushing .003 smaller than loaded diameter.

my problem. loaded round measures .313 and when i use a .310 bushing the bullet still falls into to case. ive had to use a .308 bushing to get proper tension on the bullet so it doesnt move in the casing.

any thought?

take the bullet diameter plus the wall thickness times two, and then subtract .003". The .003" is a starting point, and you may end up with something like .0045", or even .0025" tension on the bullet (grip). Have you actually checked the bushing diameter to see if it was marked wrong? (I've seen this happen a couple times).

Do this: Take a case that's ready to be neck sized, and mark the neck O.D. with a felt tipped pen all the way down to the shoulder. Now neck size it the same way you've been doing it prior. Then have a look to see just how much of the markings have been removed. If it's still black (or whatever color you chose), then your not sizing the neck at all. Then later take a case you know is good, and yet to be sized. Measure the O.D. of the neck with a micrometer, and then size it. This will tell you what the spring back in the brass is (you are using a .310" bushing, so anything over .310" is spring back)

gary

Thanks for the replies. When i use the 308 bushing it springs back to 309. This should be more than enough neck tension for a hunting rifle? Ill try tje 309 and see if i can push the bullet in the case with my finger. Is there a preffered neck tension or whatever works works?

Loaded necks at .313 is brass at .0145 thick around a .284 bullet.
You're sizing it down from fired chamber to .309(with a .308 bushing), that is 0.309-(0.0145*2) for an ID of .280".

Only .001" of springback indicates annealing..
AND:
0.004" under cal is not holding bullets?
Definitely over-annealed..

You might want to send a message to Norma about it. See what they say.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.