Wilson Die Problem 220 Swift

DennisPA

OK so I got two sets of L.E.Wilson Dies one for 223 and 220 swift. When I try to neck size my 220 swift fired brass the bushing is only coming half way down the neck? This can't be right! Right?

I haven't sized any of my 223 fired brass yet. But I did a trial run with new 223 brass and the same bushing in the 223 die seams to go all the way to the shoulder.

Is it possiable that the 220 swift die is that far off? The base of both cases go flush to the bottom of the dies.

I looked on wilsons site and they will recut the die to match my fired cases. Which is great and all but it just stinks I was really looking forward to using the swift die.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Any help would be great. Thanks

Don't know about wilson bushing dies, but redding bushings dies will not size the whole neck. Called them and asked if the die could be machined and they replied no. I am going try it any way. when dealing with a 300wm you don't have much neck to deal with in the first place, especially when loading barnes bullets with the bands

OK so I got two sets of L.E.Wilson Dies one for 223 and 220 swift. When I try to neck size my 220 swift fired brass the bushing is only coming half way down the neck? This can't be right! Right?

I haven't sized any of my 223 fired brass yet. But I did a trial run with new 223 brass and the same bushing in the 223 die seams to go all the way to the shoulder.

Is it possiable that the 220 swift die is that far off? The base of both cases go flush to the bottom of the dies.

I looked on wilsons site and they will recut the die to match my fired cases. Which is great and all but it just stinks I was really looking forward to using the swift die.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Any help would be great. Thanks

Nothing is wrong you just didn't read everything about Wilson neck die.

It only sizes 3/16" from case mouth. You can pull this up if you click on neck die.

Neck Die
Designed so the user can control and/or change the amount of neck sizing the cartridge case receives. Uses interchangeable sizing bushings that size the outside of the case neck. The conventional expander is eliminated, improving concentricity and prolonging brass life. The die is used with an Arbor Press. Sizes the neck to 3/16" from the mouth end, a practice many shooters prefer. Bushings not included. Dies include a decapping rod.

3/16" is about 1/2 the length of the bushing and I've been using them over 30yrs now never had a problem neck sizing that way. When they recut the die to fit your chamber most time it's the base of the case that won't fit. What you do is take bushing out don't size neck put case in die then slip the bushing in and it rest app 3/16" above the neck.

Forgot to mention they been doing it that was 85yrs now

TOM's implication is correct. There is no problem in the partial sizing Wilson provides.
Where you 'think' the 223 necks are being fully sized by a Wilson bushing -that would actually be a problem, and I've yet to see that.

The very last thing you need to do is size full length of necks. Nothing good in this..

Yep, Wilson dies partially size the neck only. But eventually, the brass will expand enough that bolt closure is difficult, and then you will need to purchase a full length sizer die.

Thanks to all that replied! This was a case of me needing to slow down and read the instructions better. Hoping to do some reloading tonight, but it makes a lot more sense now.
As for the 223 case I looked at it again and the brass I tried was never fired. The base actually went below the base of the die. I'd be willing to bet once I try a fired case it will be flush and the bushing will be back to the 3/16 sizing.
Thanks again. I can't wait to see wait to see what kind of accuracy I can squeeze out of these factory rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.