Wilson 50 BMG Case Trimmer Work On .22?

ltrmc02

I was curious if anyone has the Wilson 50 cal case trimmer and uses it down to .22 cal with good results?

I'm thinking of buying one and have seen on one website where is says it'll do .22 and other sites that say down to 6mm. I've already contacted the manufacturer and asked them as their website says down to 6mm as well and they responded

"The 50 Caliber Trimmer has a cutting face of .600. It is longer in length by 1.125 and has a 5/8 diameter stop screw. We advertise as trimming down to 6mm but most can do 22 cal. It all depends on the grind depth when sharpening the face. It will handle all case lengths. The stop screw is 1/2 - 20 thread so one revolution is .050."

I will mainly load .308 and 22-250 rounds but may want to load for the BMG some time down the road. I'm embarrased to say that I've got a Steyr HS 50 and have had it for a year now and have yet to fire the rifle. I plan to shoot it in the next week or so though so if I find that I like it and it doesn't rattle the neighboros too much then I'll be interested in loading for it as well.

Bump, still interested to know if the Wilson 50 trimmer will trim a 22-250 or .223 with satisfactory results.

I finally fired off the .50 cal this past weekend, surprisingly very little recoil but plenty of concusion blow back. I shot a couple of 6 gallon buckets full of water with lids on and it'll flip them and blow the back out of them pretty good with just ball ammo. I think the next challenge is to see what it will do to a 6'' diameter piece of dried fire wood shooting long ways into the grain. That will be a fun log splitter if it splits it, although for the price of 100 rds of ammo I could buy a nice hydraulic splitter couldn't I LOL.

Any more fun target ideas for the .50 are appreciated gun)

Guess I had to play ginny pig on this one so I did go ahead and get the .50 cal model of the W.E. Wilson case trimmer and it does work satisfactory on my .22-250 cases. There isn't much room to go any smaller though so probably wouldn't do a .20 cal, not sure if the standard model is rated for .20 cal or not but I know there is one designed just for the .17 cal cases.

Very nice trimmer, cuts nicely and leave a really clean straight edge but I can't compare to anything else as I just got into reloading and this is my first experience trimming cases.

Now time to reload those cases I've been squirrling back for the past 20 some years LOL.

I've never seen the Wilson 50 cal case trimmer, but use the other one.

Taking the actual cutter and looking it over in good light, you will notice in the area where the cutting edges come together. This area is known as the "web" of the cutter (imagine there are other names as well). The web dosn't cut as well as the outer edges, and this is also where max tool pressure builds up the quickest. The cutter is basicly a four flute end mill. If a person knows their trade well, they can relieve the web to where it's nearly gone (I think you could get it down to .150"). The trick with the Wilson cutter is in the grind. They do a generic style of cut, and your cutting brass. Not so good, and this leaves a bigger burr plus needs a little more tool pressure. If you resharpen the cutter, be sure to tell them your cutting brass (or better yet bronze). The only serious difference is the angle of the reliefe on the cutting edge. Needs to be about double what Wilson uses. This is when you recut the web to make it narrower, but it also is best done with a "web grinder". Still I've actually seen old men do it by hand ( I never was that good). But for very small case neck diameters, a two flute cutter would be better. There is virtually no web to worry about.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts