Will the Tikka T-3 make a good long range rifle?

WEATHERBY460

I have had great luck with the tikkas, and am now wanting a long range gun in most likely 7mm rem mag. Would the t-3 be capable to shoot accurately and repeatadly at 800 yards using the berger 168 or 180 bullets? i think the twist is 1-9.5.

Thanks for any opinions.....the only add on I would do would be to add a break.

I have tikkas in 300 wsm, 300 winchester and 338 winchester. All of them will shoot accurately to take game at 800 yards. I have done it. Recoil is not bad with the tikkas. I have not braked any of mine. I am sure they would be just as accurate in 7mm remington. The problem may be the twist instead of the rifle. The long vld bullets may not work as well with the 1-9.5. The 30 cals I have with 1-10 twists are very accurate with bullets to 200 grains that I have tried. The 300 winchester, 300 wsm and 338 winchester do well in the 24 3/8" barrel. The 7mm remington with the smaller bore/powder capacity ratio does not do as well as these. Then depending on what you want to hunt with it that could help you decide on the cartridge. But the tikka rifle is very capable with proper loads.

I have been thinking about one of these tikkas for a lightweight, bad weather elk rifle. I'm a lefty and while I think they make most cartridges in left-hand I have yet to see a LH 338wm which I would prefer. I am considering a 300wsm as they seem easy to find and even go on sale around here sometimes.
LTLR, how did the 200 grainers work in your 300wsm? I'm wondering if the bigger bullets use up too much of the case or if you still get decent velocity with say a 200 accubond.

Mine is very accurate with the 200 accubonds at 2850 fps loaded to max length that will fit in the tikka. I went to the 180 and lighter bullets in the 300 wsm because I could hit 3100fps with the 180 and 3350 fps with the 150. Several guys on here I have seen are shooting the 208 amax and 210 berger in the wsm's and seem to be doing ok with them. I guess they are just seating them way out there. I have quite a bit of the old winchester WMR ball powder and it works very well with the 200 ab without it limiting powder capacity.

The Tikka T3 would be the most accurate high volume factory rifle on the market.
Many guys are competitive with them to 800yds in F class.
However they suffer from short barrel length because they are primarily built as hunting rifles not target or long range.
APB

any other opinions?
Since you're a Weatherby guy, you might want to look at the Vanguard Sub MOA. Not sure if they chamber it in 7mm rm, but they are great shooting guns, and not too spendy either. If you want to spend a little more, check out the CZ 550 Kevlar, you get a whole lot of gun for the $$ and super accurate to boot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.