Will he 284 fit/feed in a Rem 700 Short Action?

NZVarminter

I'm going to rebarrel my Rem 700 243 in either 7mm08 or preferably 284 Win, but am not if the 284 fits comfortably in the short action mag or if it feeds ok without modification. Its supposed to have an OAL of 2.8, but suspect it is longer with heavey bullets.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Grant

The 284 was originally designed to work in a short action, so it will be "OK, but, just "OK".

The SA magbox does severely limit the OAL length vs. heavy bullets. I have a custom 6.5-284 in a Remington 700 long action and it feeds well while allowing me a lot of seating length lattitude. If you have a choice, I'd suggest the LA.

Thanks guys, is the 7mm08 imp worth the effor with only 2.7g extra capacity? The 284 has 9.6 grains more than the 7mm08.

Why hasnt anyone doen a "short 284" so it fits properly in the short action? I would expect it would still have 6-7 grains over the 7mm08

Cheers

grant

[ QUOTE ]
They have done a short 284.

It is called the 7WSM and that is what I would use if stuck on 7mm and short action.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]
You would have to open the bolt face which isn't a great idea!

I don't mean to be argumenitive, but some of this seems to be more in the mind than actual. I'll agree that heavier bullets will take up more space, but just how much? Many powders only use 90% or less any way. another point is that iy seems most people use 140s in the 284 anyway. If I were to build a 284 I would have it short-throated for 140/150s. If your going to use a long action, just use a 280. My $.02, capt david /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NZVarminter, I built a .284 based on a SA 700 action. I used a longer Brownell mag box and took out action material out of the back of the magazine box area. Then, added a follower from the Rem 7 SAUM. Follower fixed all feeding and magazine problems. I have a 22.5" barrel and also use mostly 140 gr bullets. Case capacity maxes out at 140-150 range. Velocity really rolls off with heavier bullets and seating out bullets in a longer action isn't going to help much. I get around 3000 fps with a 140 depending on the bullet. 140 Nosler Accubonds go out at over 3000 fps, and 140 Barnes X go out at 2950 fps. I have a match grade chamber with a little extra room in the neck, but much tighter than SAAMI specs. I really like my 284 and think it can handle anything I want. I started out with a 7/08 and rebarreled. I'm very happy with the results. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.