Wildcat's New 338 "YOGI" Cannon

wildcat

Wildcat\'s New 338 \"YOGI\" Cannon

Ok guys, I have been talking about this rifle on different post for some time. I should be receiving her soon and when she arrives, I will try to post pics. Here are the specs on my new cannon nicknamed "Gang Green Lightning"

1. 338 YOGI (338 Lupa Magnum Improved, Designed by David Tooley) throated for 300grn Sierra MatchKings
2. BAT 10x2 Action
3. 36" 1.750 dia. straight tapper Lilja, 1x10 twist
4. Custom Brake by D.Tooley
5. Jewell 2oz trigger
6. McMillan 50HBR, color will be Green and Black, lead added to rear of stock
7. Custom base with 20MOA and an extra base with 40MOA
8. Kelby 30mm rings with 20MOA
9. Topped with a Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS with Double Dot Reticle.
10. The rifle will weigh approximately 70lbs
11. The barrel will be highly polished to match the BAT action
12. The rifle is being built by David Tooley

This rifle will push the 300grn Matchking at 3000fps to 3100fps. I was originally going to go with a 40" tube, however, I was told not to go that long. The extra 4" would have only given me a little more velocity. I hope I made the right choice. I went with the Nightforce 12x42x56mm, however, I might put the 5.5x22x56 NXS, still haven't made my final desicion on the scope, but I am leaning towards the 12x42x56 NXS. I went with Double Dot reticle because I have them in all of my NXS scopes. I love it, it works great for me. I went with a Lilja barrel, because they are supposed to be the best in the larger, longer, 338 diameter barrels. I went with the BAT action, due to their proven reputation and capability to handle the large wildcat calibers with ease. The stock was the hardest choice, I hade a hard time deciding between the 50HBR and the 50LBR, I think the 50LBR might have tracked better, but the 50HBR made for a better longrange plateform. I added lead to the rear of stock to give the rifle excellent balance. I am currently in the process of buying a bench for this setup, I need one anyway. I am currently looking at the BR Pivot set up. I think they are big and strong enough to handle the weight of this rig, but they are expensive. I am also in the process of trying to locate a rest, this stock has a 5" forend, so it's hard to locate these. However, I have found a couple of builders that will be able to assist me in this area, thanks to those who helped me with that problem.

This rifle is being built for the purpose of hitting a ground squirrel at 2000+ yards. I am also wanting to shoot in the Heavy gun class in 1000 yard benchrest. I hope I will be in the 2000 yard club soon. I have been searching for an area to get this record, and I have finally found a place and will be able to get back to it by March of 2007. It's on a privite ranch that is full of ground squirrels. However, my friend and I will not be able to get back there because we only get on the ranch three times a year and we have used up our time this year.

I started this project about a year ago, around August 2005. I wanted to build the rifle back in 2004, but never got to it. However, back in August or July of 2005, I was reading a post by Goodgrouper when he made his 2000 yard Rockchuck kill. I was so impressed, that I decided it was time to make the plunge and get the rifle started. Thanks alot Goodgrouper, it's all your fault.

I am glad to see others on this site have the same goals that I due. It looks like Lerch and B. Bailey are waiting for there big beast. I wonder who's going to get their cannon first. I can't wait to see how their 7mm Allen Mag shoots.

I am trying to decide if I want to teflone coat the barrel and action matte black. I know it's going to look awesome the way I currently have it, however, what do you guys think about the teflon coating idea.

I am also wondering if anyone has been using the 300grn Wildcat Bullets. I am curious to know if they shoot better than the Sierra 300grn Matchking. Also, does anyone know the BC of the 300grn Wildcat, I know the 300grn Matchking is .800, I think. I will be using Lupa cases, however, I haven't decided on which powder to use. I know my gunsmith will provide me with data, however, if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know. It's always good to hear from you guys. Also, is there anybody out there shooting the 338 Yogi, if so, please give me some suggestions. Goodgrouper has been very helpful with providing me with some of his load data. GG, if you have anymore new info that you have discovered with the "MOAG", I would like to here about it.

I am really looking forward to shooting this big beast. With the weight of the rifle and muzzle brake, the recoil should be light. So, I should be able to see the impact with no problem. Well, I hope you guys like the specs of the new rig. As soon as she arrives, I will update everyone.

Thanks
Wildcat

Re: Wildcat\'s New 338 \"YOGI\" Cannon

wildcat,
from your equiptment list it sounds like your 338 YOGI is more than loosely based off the MOAG (except the Nightforce scope)
as for powder RL25 has been the powder of choice to this point,as far as bullets the 300gr SMK is the only game in town. the 300gr and larger wildcat bullets exist only in fairy tales and folk lore, I have never been able to aquire even 1 338cal wildcat bullet to shoot in the MOAG. buy a box of 500 300gr SMK's sort by bearing surface length and mabey by the time you have them all shot the wildcat's may ???? be available. good luck and have fun
UB

[ QUOTE ]
wildcat,
from your equiptment list it sounds like your 338 YOGI is more than loosely based off the MOAG (except the Nightforce scope)
as for powder RL25 has been the powder of choice to this point,as far as bullets the 300gr SMK is the only game in town. the 300gr and larger wildcat bullets exist only in fairy tales and folk lore, I have never been able to aquire even 1 338cal wildcat bullet to shoot in the MOAG. buy a box of 500 300gr SMK's sort by bearing surface length and mabey by the time you have them all shot the wildcat's may ???? be available. good luck and have fun
UB

[/ QUOTE ]

What groupings do you use for sorting?

James

I have a 338-378 on a Hall action with a mcmillan stock and 29" barrel. I get 3006 at 21ft on my oehler with the three sky screens using the 300gr SMK. I haven't sorted any bullets yet, but I decided on my load that consistently shoots in the .1s (five shots) at 100 yards without sorting. I just don't know the break points for sorting the bullets. Hopefully I will get to shoot some drop charts out to 1000 yards next week.

James

UncleB, it's pretty close to the MOAG specs. The barrel is larger, scope is different, rifle is a bit heavier and I will have a brake. I pretty much knew what I wanted to build back in 2004, and had the spec sheet already to go, however, I decided to hold off. Like I said, once I saw and read about what GG accomplished, I was inspired and decided it was time to move ahead with the project. Now that the project is almost complete, I hope it shoots as good as the MOAG when she arrives. UncleB, what kind of velocity are you guys getting with the MOAG.

Thanks
Wildcat

she should be a shooter!!! I am sure you will be happy with the gun. give Richard some time on the 300gr ULD's they will be along sometime. BJ is gonna have a rifle project pretty soon that will require them so we hope so.

The 300gr SMK will serve you well, the only prob it has it the meplat, just sort them out good and you will have a hell of a round

good luck
steve

I have a Meplate Uniform tool and have already prepared for this. I have heared that the 300 MK'S aren't as uniformed as some of the other MK bullets. Lerch, is the BC of the 300GRN MK around .800. I am going to push this bullet at around 3100fps, so with a BC of .800, I should have some impressive data out to 1000 yards and beyound. Any info on the bullet would be great. By the way, how is 7mm AM testing going. Can you post a picture of her, I would love to see what she looks like.

Wildcat

Sierra list the BC at .768 but that is at a slower speed than what you will be shooting it at, .8 should be pretty close, GG would know better. The 7AM is still probably 2 months out so no pics, they will be here soon

good luck
steve

Thanks, Lerch. Looking foward to seeing her.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
she should be a shooter!!! I am sure you will be happy with the gun. give Richard some time on the 300gr ULD's they will be along sometime. BJ is gonna have a rifle project pretty soon that will require them so we hope so.

The 300gr SMK will serve you well, the only prob it has it the meplat, just sort them out good and you will have a hell of a round

good luck
steve

[/ QUOTE ]lerch and wildcat,
I disagree with this the meplat is the least of the problem with the 300gr SMK. it is the bearing surface lenght that is the big problem, I have seen them vary as much as .012 from the same lot. that is why I said to get a box of 500 so by the time you sort them to .002" you still have many of each length (a box of 100 is a waste of time) then you sort the meplat measuring from the rear bearing surface (not the base) to the meplat and trim only the ones that need it.
IMG_0562_1_1.jpg

there are two ways to measure the bearing surface (or more) one is with this huge bearing surface comparator,the other is to get two of these red stoney point ogive checkers and put them on both sides of your caliper, I included a meplat trimmer in the pic as well. the reason this is so important is that one 300gr SMK with a .012" longer bearing surface than another will give you 10'(yes feet) of verticle at 2000 yards. most other SMK's do not have this issue but you dont usualy shoot past a mile with them either.
UB

UncleB, I have the big bullet comparator and the melplate tool. I have heard this before about the bearing surface length of the 300 MK, so I will take your advice and get the box of 500. Thanks UncleB.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.