Why wont My Scope Fit? Leupold/M-70

forkliftfred

Looking for advise. I just purchased a new Winchester model 70 Super Grade in .300 WIN Mag, Leupold 4.5-14 X 50 LR, B&C scope, Leupold std 2pc bases, Leupold std high 30MM rings. I installed the bases and rings, aligned them, tried to set the scope in them and it won't fit. The distance between the rings is about 9/16" to great to fit the tube of the scope, to say nothing about eye relief adjustment. I assume Leupold designed these bases to work with there scope. I have checked the Leupold web site and as far as I can tell I purchased all the right components. I tried turning the rear base around and found that it hangs over the opening of the receiver about a half inch that way. I know that Leupold makes extended rings that would solve My problem but that seems a little weird. Has anyone else run into this? Did I purchase the wrong basses? Did Leupold design basses that can't be used with a Leupold scope? Would a one piece base space the rings closer together, could not find specs on the Leupold web site? I e-mailed Leupold last night but have not heard back yet, thought someone hear might have a better Idea. Thanks.

Looking for advise. I just purchased a new Winchester model 70 Super Grade in .300 WIN Mag, Leupold 4.5-14 X 50 LR, B&C scope, Leupold std 2pc bases, Leupold std high 30MM rings. I installed the bases and rings, aligned them, tried to set the scope in them and it won't fit. The distance between the rings is about 9/16" to great to fit the tube of the scope, to say nothing about eye relief adjustment. I assume Leupold designed these bases to work with there scope. I have checked the Leupold web site and as far as I can tell I purchased all the right components. I tried turning the rear base around and found that it hangs over the opening of the receiver about a half inch that way. I know that Leupold makes extended rings that would solve My problem but that seems a little weird. Has anyone else run into this? Did I purchase the wrong basses? Did Leupold design basses that can't be used with a Leupold scope? Would a one piece base space the rings closer together, could not find specs on the Leupold web site? I e-mailed Leupold last night but have not heard back yet, thought someone hear might have a better Idea. Thanks.

In some cases you have to buy offset bases (They will turn forward or backward to change the
spacing.

I use them quite often with high power scopes to get a wider stance on a short action and
turn them arround on a long action to fit a shorter scope.

Leupold makes them and you can find them on SWFAs web site.

hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

On the Mdl 70 I have the front base is mounted with the ring to the rear hanging over the receiver opening slightly. The rear base has the ring to the rear also. There is sufficient eye relief adjustment set up this way. They are Leupold rings and bases with a Leupold scope.

My front base has the dove tail opening centered between the screws so rotating it doesn't change the posission. I did not see off set basses on Leupold web site, just extended rings. I find it hard to believe that Leupold designed basses that won't work with a Leupold scope on the rifle they are designed for. Thanks for the input, still hopping for more.

My front base has the dove tail opening centered between the screws so rotating it doesn't change the posission. I did not see off set basses on Leupold web site, just extended rings. I find it hard to believe that Leupold designed basses that won't work with a Leupold scope on the rifle they are designed for. Thanks for the input, still hopping for more.

You are right . I cant find the offset rings that Leupold made or the offset bases.

But I did find out that Redfield still makes them in 1" or 30mm.

I guess with everyone going to the Picatinny style they have stopped making them (I
hope not).

J E CUSTOM

I live in N. Cal but am in Reno for the weekend. Went to Cabelas and there was a Leupold rep. there. He directed Me to some diferent bases with an offset front dovtail base that is reversable. I'll try it when I get home. Looks like it will work. Thanks.

The mod 70 Rear base is reversable, and that 1/2" that hangs over your action will interfere with nothing.

Mine is the same way and loading and ejecting are unaffected. Just roll with it, its fine.

I already got the new bases with an extended reversable front dovetail mount and for purposes of eye releif I think that will work better for Me. Thanks for the help. Fred.

The new offset basses worked. scope is mounted and moving the front ring rearward also helped with eye relief. Now I just need to find time to get to the range. Thanks for all the advise. I still don't understand why standard Leupold rings and basses won't work with a Leupold scope on the rifle they are designed for, They still have not replied to My e-mail. One of those mysteries I guess. Thanks again, Fred.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.