Why so much dislike for Hornady brass?

DartonJager

First let me say my I would rate my skills as a reloader as intermediate. For reasons I can not explain I absolutely love the 300 WSM. Unfortunately my choices in brass are VERY limited and only Hornady and Norma/Nosler are ever available with any regularity.
As I am not a wealthy person I bought 150 pieces of the Hornady, prior to having read and was unaware all the negative reviews of it. I took at complete random 20 pieces each from each bag of fifty and measure them for weight and length and both were very consistent. And my reloads with it have given me sub 1" 300 yard 5 shot groups. Now I realize for most dedicated long range shooters who reload consistency in weight and length of new brass are no where near as important (if at all) as consistent case neck thickness, and concentricity, which at this time I do not own the gauges needed to measure either, but I do plan on buying a Sinclair concentricity gauge and a Redding case neck concentricity gauge in the very near future as an affordable alternative to one of the awesome concentricity gauges that are simply out of my price range.

So I'm guessing the disfavor I have read of Hornady brass is most likely due to one or more of the fallowing reasons: Two few reloads before case necks or primer pocket issues. Issues with case neck concentricity or uniform case neck thickness, over all brass quality doesn't justify it's rather high price. Or something I am unaware of.

I would like to here from those who have had first hand experience with Hornady new never fired reloading brass that once you tried it you won't use it again and why. I will say where as I'm sure I have read a negative review of Norma brass, I am unable at this moment to recall it.

One of my biggest gripes of late is there is almost nothing Cabela's sells anymore I need I can't get else where much cheaper, but they do carry Norma brass in 300 WSM and the wife and I buy all of our gas and groceries on Cabela's CC's so I will use my point to buy some Norma brass in 300 WSM. It will likely take me several months to build the points, but buy half way through 2019 I should have enough points to afford 200-250 pieces of Norma brass.

Thanks,
Art

There is better brass out there. That being said, the brass you have is perfectly serviceable and there is really no need to replace it until it wears out. Next, the tools you are thinking of buying will be of little benefit IMO until you start turning necks. In a factory chamber, just enough to knock off the high side, and you will load more concentric ammo. Start there, spending your money a little at a time.

I use Hornady brass in my .308 win. I only get about 4 maybe 5 shots out of it with 44gr Varget pushing a 168 eldm. So not exactly hot rodding it. Anyways I just shoot my Hornady brass till the primer pockets loosen up then throw it away and start with a new batch. That rifle shoots around .5 MOA.

I tried 280REM and 30-06 and they were junk 2-3 reloads that was 5-6 years ago
the 300 win mag I tried last year was middle of the road 5-7 reloads when used in my 6.5-300 win mag
now the 6.5-284 I bought cheap for my 284 win has been a real surprise. necked it up and turned necks to 75% clean up it is on 8th reload and holding up great.
guys are saying the 6.5 PRC is also doing good, maybe they are getting better atleast on the ones used in competition and long range

Lucky to get 2 firings for a 6.5 SAUM before the primer pockets go. Also, had the same issue plus excessive weight variance when I was shooting the 7LRM.

Didn't mean to hit reply and my phone locked up, but. I meant to say I have had good luck with Hornady 7mag and 280 fireformed into 280ai. Have 5 loads on the 7mag and just had to do 1 trim, primer pockets still tight 175 sgk book max of Re22, used the 280ai for load development some of them have 7 firings, I like what I have used better than Winchester.

About the time you have complete head separation and you stick brass in the chamber after 3 to 6 reloads and it, at best, ruins your range trip you will understand. I've got more
Than 20 reloads on some of my Norma and lapua brass. You get what you pay for. I use hornady brass in my 458 win mag but that about it and that's just bc I will never shoot 100 peices of 458 win mag more than 3 times.

The newer PRC brass has been great. Only pushing the 140-150gr bullets to 3050 but the brass is in great shape after 6 firings. No trimming and primer pockets like new. I only get 4 firings from the Lapua 30-06 sized to 6.5-06 but the pressure is significantly higher in order to get 3050 from the same bullet class. I think the PRC actually has more magic than the creedmoor. ;)
Run up the pressure and every brand will fail quickly. If you want the brass to last just lower the pressure. I need the 6.5-06 to go 3050 for accuracy node and I only use it for hunting, so I just toss the Lapua brass when the primers loosen after 4 firings.
As a side note. I bought the 270 Norma for the 6.5-06 this time (box of 100 Lapua all tosses) and they still look great after 3 rounds.

It's not my favorite brass for a couple reasons. Mainly primer pockets and wide variations in weight.

Different brands of brass cases perform differently for some depending on Pressure, chamber quality, the amount of sizing, frequency of annealing, and the toughness of the brass it's self.

Brass that tends to hold it's primer pockets dimensions well may be a little harder and need a more frequent Annealing. Cases that splits the neck frequently are typically harder.

Cases that are quick to lose the primer pockets are normally considered to soft, (This is determined by the alloy of the brass). the "Softer'' cases can't handle the high pressure loads very well and be used on normal loading's for good service.

Case design and alloy has the most to do with longevity so I would recommend the premium cases (Lapua,Norma DWM) for High pressure loading. and for standard loading (50,000 to 55,000 psi almost any brand will give good service.

Everyone has there favorite brands of cases based on their uses and needs.There are a few brands of cases that I don't use because of their service life and inconsistency. once you find a case that you like for one reason or another, adapt your loading to that case for longer life. I could name My favorites, but that would start an argument and it would serve no purpose. But I like certain brands for some cartridges and others for the rest.

Just saying case life is what you make of it.

J E CUSTOM

First let me say my I would rate my skills as a reloader as intermediate. For reasons I can not explain I absolutely love the 300 WSM. Unfortunately my choices in brass are VERY limited and only Hornady and Norma/Nosler are ever available with any regularity.
As I am not a wealthy person I bought 150 pieces of the Hornady, prior to having read and was unaware all the negative reviews of it. I took at complete random 20 pieces each from each bag of fifty and measure them for weight and length and both were very consistent. And my reloads with it have given me sub 1" 300 yard 5 shot groups. Now I realize for most dedicated long range shooters who reload consistency in weight and length of new brass are no where near as important (if at all) as consistent case neck thickness, and concentricity, which at this time I do not own the gauges needed to measure either, but I do plan on buying a Sinclair concentricity gauge and a Redding case neck concentricity gauge in the very near future as an affordable alternative to one of the awesome concentricity gauges that are simply out of my price range.

So I'm guessing the disfavor I have read of Hornady brass is most likely due to one or more of the fallowing reasons: Two few reloads before case necks or primer pocket issues. Issues with case neck concentricity or uniform case neck thickness, over all brass quality doesn't justify it's rather high price. Or something I am unaware of.

I would like to here from those who have had first hand experience with Hornady new never fired reloading brass that once you tried it you won't use it again and why. I will say where as I'm sure I have read a negative review of Norma brass, I am unable at this moment to recall it.

One of my biggest gripes of late is there is almost nothing Cabela's sells anymore I need I can't get else where much cheaper, but they do carry Norma brass in 300 WSM and the wife and I buy all of our gas and groceries on Cabela's CC's so I will use my point to buy some Norma brass in 300 WSM. It will likely take me several months to build the points, but buy half way through 2019 I should have enough points to afford 200-250 pieces of Norma brass.

Thanks,
Art
I'm not wealthy either, if you start having enlarged primer pockets you can give this a try before tossing a bunch of brass. I'm not a fan of Hornady brass at all but this method is worth a try.https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tighten-primer-pockets-heres-how.152361/

My experience with Hornady brass was with some for the 300 Win Mag. The third time it was fired several cases were showing signs of case head separation and one had a crack in that area. I pulled apart the remainder that I had loaded and threw the cases away.

Getting >10 loads without any annealing or trimming on a .243AI. Running zero headspace and a super tight chamber but still. Not even a split neck yet and I'm running 115's at 3200fps.