Why not a faster twist in the 270 Winchester

Feenix .270AI threads helped tip the scale for me to build a fast twist .270 for myself. I didn't go the AI route just because I didn't want to add a variable into the performance evaluation that I did not have previous experience with.

This was the build:
.270 Win
27" Preferred Barrel 5R Remage
Light Palma contour
1:8 TW
Holland 0.250 recoil lug
0.290 free bore added to accommodate 156HH the targeted bullet I "preferred".
Rem 700LA trued by Mark Penrod - Penrod Precision, Manchester, IN
Triggertech trigger
Magpul 700 stock with std bottom metal

This gave me 3.63 max COAL with the 156 HH about 0.024 jump.

Sig Sauer brass, FM 210, 3.61 COAL, RL26 maxed out 156H at 3284 and settled in at 3185 as my final hunting load with < 1/2 MOA. The 170 EOL shot well to at 3075 but I need to do more load work and maybe after 1st of year will follow up. I ran some other bullet ladders on LRH as well.

If interested, plenty of discussion on LRH.

never understood the stubborn refusal of manufacturers to give he 270 a face lift with a faster twist to accommodate modern bullet offerings. The statement that the 270 is good enough as is, is a pile of manure. We should strive for better and excellence instead. After all they are not afraid bringing myriads of new often duplicating new cartridge offerings. Improve the .270 Win besides the new offerings!

Several manufacturers offer the 300WM in faster twists now but the problem with the .270 is not just the twists but the need for added free-bore in throat to accommodate longer higher BC bullets thus longer COAL that will NOT fit in standard magazines and throats for MOST rifle manufacturers.

Just imagine trying to run this round in attached pic in a standard .270 Win? There will be a whole new run of lawyer ads on TV!

The once well traveled ad "its so easy even a caveman can do it" is true if you replace caveman with @Muddyboots in building a fast twist .270. IMO the Rem 700 LA gives you most COAL at 3.63 so you can max out the old girl with the longer higher BC Bullets.

There are tons of youtube vids to help guide you. Some basic tools or just buy the components and have a smith do it.

BC599C77-4820-48B7-9FFA-794B0AA796F9.jpeg

never understood the stubborn refusal of manufacturers to give he 270 a face lift with a faster twist to accommodate modern bullet offerings. The statement that the 270 is good enough as is, is a pile of manure. We should strive for better and excellence instead. After all they are not afraid bringing myriads of new often duplicating new cartridge offerings. Improve the .270 Win besides the new offerings!
Perhaps the manufacturers' market research does not warrant the small demand at this time. For this to happen, a factory ammo offering must also be available because not everybody reloads. This is why there are factory ammo and factory rifles, and hand-loaded ammo, and custom/semi-custom rifles. Not too long ago, a fast twist .27 caliber custom barrel was non-existent.

There ae some fast twist offerings but mostly in the .264 cal and 22 cal. Not common in other calibers that I can recollect.

I built a 270wsm, PacNor barrel, with a longer throat and 1:8 twist to accommodate the Matrix 165 and Berger 170's. Its performance basically duplicates the 6.8 western. 2,975 fps.The model 70 internal magazine will let me run 2.98" rounds with no modifications. Feeds like butter. Shoots under 1 moa. This mod makes it much more versatile.

The .223 and some 6.5 mm as I recall have come out with faster twist barrels in some factory rifles, to accommodate longer heavier bullets. Considering the still very popular .270 Winchester, I could imagine increasing its versatility and popularity with longer heavier bullets, for longer range shooting and bigger animals like moose and elk. Why the stubborn insistence on only the 1:10, which no longer stabilize newer longer bullets by Barnes or Berger and even barely, the older 160 Nosler Partition semi spitzer.
Factory firearms are made to fire the standard variety of commercial ammo available for that caliber. For those who aspire to shoot heavier and longer bullets in a standard caliber and want a custom rifle twist the answer is simply. Have a custom barrel made and installed that meets your twist desires. Any competent gunsmith can do this for you and most likely won't cost as much as a new rifle would.

The .223 and some 6.5 mm as I recall have come out with faster twist barrels in some factory rifles, to accommodate longer heavier bullets. Considering the still very popular .270 Winchester, I could imagine increasing its versatility and popularity with longer heavier bullets, for longer range shooting and bigger animals like moose and elk. Why the stubborn insistence on only the 1:10, which no longer stabilize newer longer bullets by Barnes or Berger and even barely, the older 160 Nosler Partition semi spitzer.
For me it comes down to simple economics. Companies are in business to MAKE MONEY, and basic business 101 is sell what the majority of buyers want at a profit. 223 rifles mostly started with a AR15 platform and surplus ammo. Military decided 1/7 was best for the eventual final round 62gr and hence faster twist. Faster twist barrels bolt guns in 223 are extremely rare because a majority of shooters use 55gr or lighter bullets. The same applies to any caliber. The percentage of shooters using super heavy for caliber bullets is in the single digits compared to "standard" weights. It would require huge amounts of money to RD, Tool Up, produce, and sell a few rifles in all the chamberings. Can you imagine the internet and sales crushing information if all the new 270 rifle buyers tried to shoot 130gr bullets out of a fast twist (Ie. 1/8 or faster). The companies sales would plummet for all rifles in very short order. As in, the companies would loose their butts trying this. The custom world (same single digit percentage) has been doing this for centuries, and companies are testing the waters with a few select models.

For me it comes down to simple economics. Companies are in business to MAKE MONEY, and basic business 101 is sell what the majority of buyers want at a profit. 223 rifles mostly started with a AR15 platform and surplus ammo. Military decided 1/7 was best for the eventual final round 62gr and hence faster twist. Faster twist barrels bolt guns in 223 are extremely rare because a majority of shooters use 55gr or lighter bullets. The same applies to any caliber. The percentage of shooters using super heavy for caliber bullets is in the single digits compared to "standard" weights. It would require huge amounts of money to RD, Tool Up, produce, and sell a few rifles in all the chamberings. Can you imagine the internet and sales crushing information if all the new 270 rifle buyers tried to shoot 130gr bullets out of a fast twist (Ie. 1/8 or faster). The companies sales would plummet for all rifles in very short order. As in, the companies would loose their butts trying this. The custom world (same single digit percentage) has been doing this for centuries, and companies are testing the waters with a few select models.

I am having PAC-NOR re-barrel a 700 mountain rifle from 30-06 to 270 with a 1-9" twist now. Factory contour and length was copied. I should have thought about having it throated longer to accommodate the longer bullets since I went with the faster twist. I imagine I can still load some of the heavies, just not get as much powder behind them.

I am a super life time 270 Win and 270 Weather Mag fan. It would have been really great if the engineers at Winchester in 1923 to 1926 during the product development stage of the 270 could have foreseen that far into the future, guys would want to shoot 600 and 800 yards at Deer and Sheep and Elk ,and would expect that Rifle /Caliber to be capable of doing that. For its day , the 270 Win was cutting edge technology. Imagine back when a 300 yard shot was almost impossible, and how small game looked through your brand new 4X Lyman Alaskan Scope. The advancement and availability of new Barrel / Stock/ Trigger and Scope technology has allowed us all to improve the performance of this fine old hunting round.

I am a super life time 270 Win and 270 Weather Mag fan. It would have been really great if the engineers at Winchester in 1923 to 1926 during the product development stage of the 270 could have foreseen that far into the future, guys would want to shoot 600 and 800 yards at Deer and Sheep and Elk ,and would expect that Rifle /Caliber to be capable of doing that. For its day , the 270 Win was cutting edge technology. Imagine back when a 300 yard shot was almost impossible, and how small game looked through your brand new 4X Lyman Alaskan Scope. The advancement and availability of new Barrel / Stock/ Trigger and Scope technology has allowed us all to improve the performance of this fine old hunting round.
You freaking nailed it and I got a good laugh........you could even move that up to even the 80-90's when Laser Range Finders became affordable, portable, and accurate. Even today the percentage of shooters let alone hunters who really shoot at and try to hit targets past 3-400 yards is single digits. Take away the range finders and it drops even more how many will. Besides, it spreads the wealth by paying custom shops to give you potential abilities no one else has.

I am having PAC-NOR re-barrel a 700 mountain rifle from 30-06 to 270 with a 1-9" twist now. Factory contour and length was copied. I should have thought about having it throated longer to accommodate the longer bullets since I went with the faster twist. I imagine I can still load some of the heavies, just not get as much powder behind them.
Don's beat up on yourself too bad. Twist rates and bullet length/weight are general rules that do matter and are not requirements. I have and loaded for dozens of rifles both factory and custom that shoot their best with BULLETS THE INTERNET/DATA SAYS THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED to shoot well. Our powder selection/burn rates today (if you can find any) is phenomenal and better than it ever has been. My daughters 300WSM shoots a 165AB into .5 at 3180fps using H414. Yes H414, and oh my gosh it works great and is not too over pressure!

Bobby -
I saw this post of yours where you mention re barrelling your 700 mountain rifle from 30-06 to 270. I have a gen one 700 mountain rifle in 270 that I've thought about re barrelling to 30-06. If you still have that barrel, and it's still serviceable, and you're open to selling it, I might be interested.
Dennis