Why no consensus...holding forend and bipod to bag

NO long range shot on game should be taken from a "positional" shooting stance using a sling.

All shots at long range need to be either from good bipod/tripod or from a pack or other good rest that is padded. Shooting with a forearm resting on a hard object like a rock or a tree limb will result in a bad shot.

Practice using the clothes you will possibly wear hunting.

If possible at temperatures and altitudes you will encounter while hunting. Otherwise take a Kestrel/AB 5400 weather meter/ballistic computer to adjust hold for altitude pressure and temperature.

The fore ends on all your long range rifles should be free floated and stiff enough that it won't touch the barrel when using a sling for support on closer shots. I recently routed a channel in the fore arm of my Ruger American Predator stock and JB Welded a 9" length of arrow shaft in to stiffen it and it works well in all directions.
Fore arm stiffening CAN BE DONE.

Eric B.

In reading some of the sticky's here and after reading some long range literature and then watching some long range on TV I am amazed at some of the basic level inconsistencies. Then again...I guess I am not surprised but want a good base here. I am not completely foreign to shooting longer distances but have only done so on p-dogs with my .204 and only to about 300 on larger game as I have not been presented with a longer shot yet. I did shoot a ton when younger and was a fantastic shot...really, never shot around anyone that I could not outshoot adults included. I shot almost every day throughout the year unless it was really crappy. Killed more prairie dogs than the plague:D Well I am not nearly as well practiced anymore but one thing I learned was everything on my end was all about consistency from grip to forend hold etc. I am starting to shoot a lot more again and want to clear up some things in my head first. Here are my questions.
1. Why is there no consensus on holding the forend of the weapon regardless of shooting position so you are always imparting as similar a force as possible. I am talking bipod, backpack, etc. If you are laying prone and shooting off of a short bipod and hold the forend and then let go will it not change the point of impact? I understand sometimes it really helps to have the support hand float back and puff up your rear support or stabilize the rear but if you sighted in holding and change that how screwed are you.

2. If you sight in with a bipod on and find yourself in an awkward shooting position where you need to place the bipod on a your daypack (folded) then how much will it change impact now that there is a less rigid ground contact point bouncing off the soft pack instead of bipod legs on the ground? I was amazed how much my impact changed when I shot my bipod off of a harder surface compared to dirt.

3. How much will you change your impact if say you sight in with a bipod on and then it is removed in the field for whatever reason?

4. Do any of you only shoot off of a pack laying down or vertical if you need more support elevation and always hold the forend? To me this seems the most consistent. Just saw a guy drop and antelope on Gunwerks and they trained for days on level ground with a short mounted bipod and then shot one off of his pack standing up...those kinds of things worry me.

Thanks everyone for any input.
Because everyone, every rifle, and every shot is different.

The same set up won't work the same for everyone or every situation.

So.....should you hold the fore end or not????:D:D:D
Just kidding, lots of good info and things to consider.
I don't think there is nearly as much variation between rifles as many would lead you to believe in many of the comments in the case of hunting rifle type setups. Maybe between some crazy geometry bench rest to a more traditionally stocked hunting rifle, yes. I think in this case it might be justification for ones technique due to comfort, laziness etc. I am not saying one way or another which one is right or wrong but to me I wish this fundamental base was more clearly defined so as to not waste time going in the wrong direction. Wish i would have taken some fly fishing classes early on before trying to unlearn bad habits if you know what I mean. I will just have to see once I get some range time to practice the right and wrong way (not knowing which is really right or wrong:)) and see how tolerant my rig is of bad technique and how lazy it will allow me to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.