Why didn’t the 300RCM ever takeoff?

Mram10us

I've always wondered why this cartridge never really took off. Please respond with personal experience not something you read on the internet :)

Factory rifle options and established short action 30 mags.
Not enough ballistic advantage to pull the 06 gang up and no short action advantage over a short actioned 300 wsm/saum.

If I remember correctly this also released at the beginning of gunmageddon where reloading supplies were hard to come by.

I have wanted one for a while. I think if they would have waited 4 years and introduced it along with their Ruger American line in 2011, people would have jumped on it. I was never a huge Ruger rifle fan. Nobody really bought into the cartridge, it was Custom or a Ruger - no rem 700's etc. It was a marketing fail, poor timing etc

I think it was too little too late. There were already short magnum offerings from Winchester and Remington. The RCM didn't do any better than the the WSMs or the SAUMs, and it was offered in a less popular rifle. Rugers aren't bad deer rifles, but I see a lot more guys buying Remingtons, Savages, Brownings, etc. over Ruger M77s. It's a good cartridge and it's cool, but it came to market too late and at bad timing. I also think the way they marketed it and offered it in a light, 20" barrel rifle really hurt it as well. I feel like the manufacturers and industry has pushed and created this need for short, light, magnum rifles more than the customers actually want. It's a niche market and I feel like more guys would buy light rifles in standard cartridges, or just buy a standard rifle in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag over a specialized Ruger in 300 RCM.

Sort of, if I had to guess ruger kept rights to the cartridge for a time period. Judging by creed and prc they'll license those cartridges to anyone
Ruger developed in because they didn't want to pay for the rights to use the 300 WSM. In retrospect it probably wasn't the right decision.

My hunting partner has a custom rifle chambered in 300 RCM. It was in that cartridge already when he bought it; he didn't spec it. It shoots great, and he bought enough factory ammo that we will have brass for a long time should we need to reload for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.