Why coyote hunting?

For me - when I am alone on the North Dakota velt , sun setting, the crescendo signals the hyenas are beginning to hunt - they become "The Lions of Tsavo"{1}, "The man eaters of Kumaon & The Temple tiger"{2}. Oh no my good man, they are far more than just mere coyotes . It is the Romance of yester year. :cool:

{1} Patterson {2} Jim Corbett

I live in Chicago (we actually have coyotes here too, but I'll do about 10 years if I shoot one). But I'm moving to Colorado Springs for six weeks.

I take it the coyotes are somewhere in the Chigago suburbs and not downtown???

I live downtown. I took my dog on a walk in a park 10 min from my house last night and I saw one. This is the first year that Iv'e noticed Chicago coyotes making the news.

Didn't have any coyotes in Florida 40 years ago but now their presence has been confirmed in 65 of Floridas 67 counties. Based on verbal reports from state and federal landowners and the agricultural community, coyotes appear to be rapidly increasing in abundance throughout Florida. Tenacious little predators.

One escaped and is now in Washington...begging your pardon but yotes ain't that ugly...not even the dead ones..oh and they're smarter too. lol:)

Hey Now! Let's not be insulting the coyote like that. He's one of Gods' critters, and I don't think any of Gods' critters live in D.C. Back to as why, here on the Southern Plaines we got bunches of 'um. Calving is just about over here and I've heard of several losses because of that 'hunter of opportunity'. They're everywhere. If some control isn't on them, soon they would be the only thing out there. Not only will they go after livestock, you might come up missing every barn cat on the place AND your best bird dog! You won't find a more challenging hunt. Leave the bi-pod at home, you won't know which direction he may be coming from and, for me anyway, its just in the way. I travel light, just a couple mouth calls, and my custom barreled 6 x 45, it can make those 250yd. kills and swings easily for those 30yd.'ers that are behind you. He (the coyote) has become the master hunter/survivor on this continent.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.