Who's heard of Steyr Rifles

Chris Hewitt

I'm a greenhorn on this site and this sport. I'm looking for some input on Steyr rifles. I handle one this afternoon, impressive. I was slightly confused about the fact as the .308 prohunter had built-in bipods, and the300 Mag did not. Wouldn't a 300or 338 be a better caliber for long range hunting than a .308.

Styer

Hi. For starters, it depends on how far you are capable of shooting accurately, what it is that you're going after, how much you shoot and how much recoil you are confortable with. Try out some friends' guns before taking the plunge into a big boomer.

thanks for the reply Artpro. I going after Elk. I'm done fair amount of shooting. Mostly 30.06 . Range of about 200yds.. I want to learn to shoot out to a 1000yds comfortly. I'm a big boy I can take a fair amount of kick. It's all the specs also I hae to learn, of course practise, practise.

I don't have any experience with the Pro Hunter, but I do have a Steyr SSG PII.
This is an LE sniper rifle with all the bells and whistles from the factory.
The SSG is one of the finest and most accurate rifles out of the box.
If I wasn't too darn busy building custom rifles, I would have me a Pro Hunter to play with.

I have two steyr rifles.
A Steyr tactical elite ( as the scout one ) in 308 with built in bipod.
Bipod is not so good, but is good enough for shooting. I have on a Springfiel Armory scope with drop for 168 grains bullet. I shoot at about 0.5 MOA with reloading. My second steyr rifle is a Steyr Manlicher Jagdmatch, like the prounter but a little bit more old in 222 caliber. I shoot at 200 meters in an euro money ( like an half dollar ). Some one told me that the pro hunter is very accurate but shoot better with a good bedding.. Lorenzo

A few years back I had a Steyr SSG69. Shot claybirds with it out to 750yds at a friends place. Thats as far as we could go there. Seemed that the farther out you went, the tighter it shot.

If you are going after Elk then yes a 300 or 338 Mag. would be much better than any 308 Win. The 338 Win Mag is a Elk thumper and most anything else that gets in its way in North America.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts