Who would have thought?

sniperjwt

I have a friend that asked me if i would work up a load in his rifle. Me being an enthusiest in anything that has to do with hunting and shooting said sure no problem just bring it over and ill have her shooting good in no time. Well i guess i should have asked what kind of gun it was first because it ended up being a Remington 710 30-06. Now i know Remington can make a good rifle if they want to but the 710 is definatly not one of those. Its pretty cheap all the way around. So i had my work cut out for me. I tried the 155 Bergers but could not get them to shoot how i wanted and when i did they did not fit in the mag. So i went on to the Sierra 168 and then the 175s. Well the 175 in the first two groups i shot were just over an inch. I was happy with that out of that gun but thought i would tinker around and see if i could get any better. Well i went out this morning and shot this group and boy was i surprised when i walked up to the target ( the scope on it is only a 3-9x40 so i was not able to see where i was hitting) Shots were at 100 yards.

5ac0f9d0.jpg

Oh sorry i must have covered it up with this penny. LOL :D:D:D
ok here it is for real this time.

a8dcbb05.jpg

It measured dead on .500 center to center.
Call it luck if you want to thats fine with me but either way its still 3 shots in a 1/2 inch with a less than quality gun. I think my friend will be happy i know i would out of this gun.

Wow good work, my buddy had one of those and it was junk. Iv heard stories about the bolt handle breaking off......:D

I dont have any hands on with that rifle, but from what I here they are not what Remington fans expect from a Remington rifle.
Strange how polishing a turd can sometimes amaze you huh. I happen to be of the opinion that alot of rifles have potential. No matter the brand or model. Obviously some models of every manufacturer prove to be consistantly more accurate than others, but good for you for taking a rifle with a not so good reputation and doing something with it to be proud of. Im sure the owner will feel a huge boost in confidence in his rifle thanks to you.
Some folks are ''brand loyal'' to a fault. I know I am. But no matter what brand is your chosen favorite, its good to see someone make something shoot better than its ''reputation earned potential'' says it can. You should be proud of yourself. Good job.

The only one of those rifles I have fired belonged to a friend, and he brought it to me the day before deer season to sight it in. It was a .270 if I remember correctly, and he brought me a box of factory remington express ammo. I took it out and sighted it in then fired a 1.75 inch 3 shot group. In my experience that is good accuracy out of that ammo with any rifle. My 700 300 win mag will not put three rem express rounds of any weight on a 2ftx2ft cardboard box at 100 yards, but it will put three 180 or 190 grain interlocks in the same hole consistently, factory or reload. I thought that said something for the 710. It did however feel like the cheapest rifle one could legally carry to the woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.