Who shoots a 338 Rum?

A lot of people don't trust the Berger bullet design for hunting, therefore they stick with the traditional hunting bullets. I have tried the accubonds and they just don't maintain accuracy at longer distance like the 300 Berger.

A lot of people don't trust the Berger bullet design for hunting, therefore they stick with the traditional hunting bullets. I have tried the accubonds and they just don't maintain accuracy at longer distance like the 300 Berger.

The Accubonds don't have the BC as the Bergers.......the .338 Accubond in 300 Gr
Is very good..........but still not as good as the Berger 300gr OTM......but if shooting under 1k yards ..........doesn't really matter. I use the 300gr Elite Hunting bullet in my Lapua with H1000......... Very good load........but it's a 1K yard plus gun.

I'm gonna stick my foot in my mouth as usual, but I've been toying with the CE bullets in my 338 ultra mag. Still working with em, but one would be surprised what a 252-265 grain copper bullet does when it has a .750-.800 BC. I'm reluctant to post anything until I'm confident with the results. Just food for thought.....

Best of luck,
Erik

Erik

I have read up on the CE bullets......very nice. Which one did you go with?
I have had really good results on moose with the 225gr Accubond in the 338 Win.
So Tried a load suggested with H1000 in my 338 RUM with 225 AB and really like it.
That Rem has a deep throat so my COAL is past 3.600" .........but man it shoots good :)

I started messing around with the 252gr MTH last fall. They showed some serious promise but I haven't had enough range time to dial them in. I'm shooting a factory barrel and I don't think it will stabilize bullets much heavier. It's not to say they won't but until I get another barrel put on, with the proper twist, I have my doubts. The only real problem is tinkering with these can become an expensive investment.

If you archive this forum, you'll see long time long ranger had incredible results with the lighter CE bullets in his 338RUM. Of course I can't leave good enough alone. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Erik

Last edited:
I had a full custom 338 built a few years back and it became my rifle of choice. It really likes the 210 TTSX (see attached target). The same load shoots 2 inches at 600 yards. Not surprising with near single digit ES. With Barnes TTSXs the trick is to drive them over 3,000 fps to ensure good hydrostatic shock. It pretty much kills everything without much meat damage. Recently that included a nice 6X6 bull and a small whitetail. They both stumbled for about 20 yards and went down. The elk was at 348 yards and the whitetail at 210 yards. Kind of nice when you can use one rifle for everything. The key is using the TTSX going fast.

Attachments

• 338 RUM 210 TTSX .jpg
    338 RUM 210 TTSX .jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 100
I shot a 340 wby for 25 yrs,with much success.Since 2010 Ive been shooting 338 NM ,300 otm.I shoot everything with it speed goats to moose.Im a 338 fan.

I have been in love with several bullets out of the 338 rum over the last decade. As I became a better shot the distances have grown and so have my expectations. I really like the 225 accubond, but with a .550 g1 bc, it doesn't hold a candle to the 300 gr berger with a .818 g1 bc. at longer ranges. I am working with the 300 gr accubond right now, but I need to drive it quite a bit faster to keep a level playing field with the berger. Right now I have the accubond going 2820 and it matches the drops very close with the 300 gr berger otm out to 1000 with the same 100 yard zero. Since I am playing with Rl33 with the accubond, I am going to push it a little harder if I can keep cramming powder in the case. I am going to try 101 grs just as soon as I get over my cold. I am thinking 2900 might be achievable and still be able to magazine feed. You might ask, why don't I just stick with the Bergers? They shoot great and kill great, but I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about shooting a self defense charging grizzly at point blank range and having the berger perform. Knowing a person that shot a charging grizzly with a 200 gr ballistic tip from a 338 win mag, the bullet didn't penetrate far enough to keep him from getting mauled pretty good, not what I would want to repeat. The berger will probably stay my main choice, but I want to see how the accubond does. The 338 rum kills with authority, lots of DRT's. 300's are great calibers, and with a good bullet driven fast they kill well also, just not as good as the 338 in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.