Who shoots a 338 Rum?

isu600rr

I'm asking who shoots a 338 Rum because I am thinking of building one and was trying to decide between this and a 300 wm.

Now both will get done what i want them to do. however I have a fascination with sending a 338 300 gn. bullet down range.

IS the 338 RUM worth getting over the 300wm and i don't hear much regarding the 338 rum on the site.

I know, I know !! Because I want one... Never shot the .338rum but I've spent some bench time with a buddies .340 wea. it hain't no fun after 5 shots and I'm not recoil sensitive and love anything with magnum attached ! I can't even imagine finding brass for this beast if they can't find any for the .300. Everything is expensive, bullets, powder amounts etc...but if you gotsta have one ! Bring sandbags for the in between area from butt to shoulder.

I'd just settle for a good ole' .300 wm

I have both the 300 win and a 338 rum. Don't be afraid of the recoil, put a good muzzle break on the end and you can watch your bullet hit. I've shot out one 338 rum barrel and am currently working on another. It is definitely more expensive to shoot than the 300 win, but with a 300 Berger it handles wind a little better and stretches the distance a little farther. I would just get one of each.:D

My .338 RUM is not what I call a heavy gun and I just put 30 x 300 grain Matchkings through it a few days ago. No problem with recoil. I just got a new .300 WinMag for Christmas but sold it and got the .338. Nothing wrong with a .300 but I'm kinda spoiled after shooting a .338 Edge for several years and just couldn't "downgrade" in performance.
I'm thinking about putting together a budget .300 on an older Savage lefty I found, I already have the barrel. So maybe getting both is the answer?!:D

The 338 RUM is a great round. for target as well as hunting. If braked it is not bad to shoot, unbreaked it gets old fast. Brass has been availeable as it is not near as popular as the 300 RUM.

I have both. Both have breaks-If you want one get one. It depends how you intend to use it. Weight is your friend in a stationary set up, and with a heavy rifle/scope combo the .338 becomes tamer on the shooter end. A lighter carry style rifle favors the .300. For me anyway.

Have both, with a brake and proper technique the 338 isn't hard/bad to shoot. It is a little more expensive to shoot than a 300wm. For pack in hunts I prefer a light 300, but I really like the power and better wind bucking of 250's out of the 338.
Get both :D

I had both and sold the 300wm if favor of the 338rum. My take on them is both need at least 26 in barrel both need to have a muzzle break and both need something close to a sendero contour at minimum. So both are bigger heavy guns so why not go with the bigger of the two. Once you shoot a big 338 at distance it kinda feels like your cheating it's sooo nice. 300 grains with high bc really makes a difference with wind. If your call is off a few mph hardly it's noticed.

But 338 Rum is 25 grains more powder, bullets are more, brass is hard to come by, or pay Near $3 a piece for nosler. I bet barrel life is less on the rum too.

at the same time one can never go wrong with 300wm.

This is about wants over needs. Go BIG

Go 338!!! I'm currently in the process of getting mine built. I'm using a Proof Research 28" barrel for my build. Going for around 8-9 lbs without the scope.

I have been shooting the 338 rum since 2001. Started shooting 210 gr Barnes xlc at close to 3400, then went to 225 accubonds at 3300 and now 300 gr bergers at 2775. DRT is what it likes to do, deer elk, antelope, no tracking required. Two longest kills with 300 gr bergers, 750 on a 6 point bull elk and 760 on a 180+ mulie. Lots of kills over 500. I am now working on some loads with the 300 gr accubond loaded with RL33. My back up gun is a 300 rum.

I have a custom built 300 WM and a Remington XCR II in 338 RUM and I find myself picking up the 338. I have done a few mods. timmeny trigger, Boyd's stock bedded and had brake installed. It is my favorite rifle! I am running SMK 250 gr through it @ 2900 fps

I currently have 338 Win, 338 RUM and a Lapua and a 300 Win Mag

The 338 RUM I just set up for my next 2016 moose season
It's a Rem XCR 2 rifle......

I installed a nice HS stock

HS detachable magazine Kit ( I can seat my bullets past the 3.600" length) :)

Timney Trigger

Mag Na Port

Tactical bolt knob

M16 Magnum Extractor

Leupold 3.5x 10 B/C VARX3
Warne Base with Warne QR Med Rings

My load is H1000 @ 97.5 with Nosler 225gr AB in RP brass at 3100 FPS
For Energy and Stomping game like elk and moose the 338 cal is hard to beat...........having shot moose with 300 and 338 cal rifles the 338 cal bullets by far are my choice.......especially at long range.
But a custom 30O like the 300 RUM with 230 OTM makes a impressive long range rifle.
I have harvested a lot game in the lower 48 with a old 300 Weatherby.............180gr Part.........another good rifle.

My two hunting rifles are a 338 RUM and a 300 Win Mag. Love them both but I hunt with the 338. Fully outfitted with scope it weighs 9.5 lbs... plenty light to carry and just enough to shoot long. I have loads dialed with both the 300 accubond and 300 Berger EH, both with RL33. Just proved out the 300 EH load last weekend and it held 3.5" at 1000 yards.

Why is it that most of you guys are using 200-250 grain bullets? why isn't the 300gn more popular. ?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.