Who likes laminate stocks?

Your question made me realize that's all I do have. So, I guess I like 'em too. :)

Here's my .270 Allen Magnum, 6.5-284 Norma and .300WinMag.

Attachments

• 20160804_212410_resized.jpg
    20160804_212410_resized.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20150628_010909_resized.jpg
    20150628_010909_resized.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150628_010353_resized.jpg
    20150628_010353_resized.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 106
Lately I've taken a shine to laminate stocks over a composite stock. I really like the feel and look. I picked up a old vls stock last week. It's nothing special, but i love it.

Matt

Wow, I know what you mean. They're smooth and cool to the touch, not to mention stable under inclement conditions and very aesthetically pleasing. What they aren't is lightweight but not unacceptably heavy either. Their stability, weight and consistent yet giving materials seem to be a good blend for stable harmonics. I'm fond of the grey laminate.

Lately I've taken a shine to laminate stocks over a composite stock. I really like the feel and look. I picked up a old vls stock last week. It's nothing special, but i love it.

Matt
Same here. I have always had a passion for wood but of course regular wood stocks can be very sensitive to temp and humidity changes seriously affecting accuracy.

With laminates that is not the case as the wood is impregnated with epoxy stacked in sheets and then cured under extremely high pressure.

Just seal it good when you get done installing the pillars and floating the barrel and you'll never have a problem with it.

I'm working on one right now for a 300wm project I've got going. I came across a "New Old Stock" Fajen Monte Carlo unfinished stock and bought it for next to nothing. I get it out every couple of weeks and buff it with Tung Oil a bronze wool and when I get tired of fooling with it I'll seal it up with Minwax and call it good.

Yuppers for me to.

Nothing like a fine peace of wood attached to a good action and barrel.

Wood offers us a feel of solid stability with the look too match its appearance. The feel and sound muzzles the recoil since wood dead'ns the sounds after the shot,,, at least we think it does.

The nice thing about wood is it gets rid of the Black or Gray colour that we've become custom too over the years.

Folks at the shooting range or Harvesting take note of these wood stocked rifles as they stand out more and more each year.

Wood stock rifles were lower priced a few years back, but more folks have been returning to them so the value of them has been going up.

Today's and yesterdsys laminated stocks have what it takes to get the job done, and this look makes the package look complete.

We don't see the hot dry temperature of California or humidity of Florida here in Western Canada,,, but what we lack in hot and humid we gain in dry and cold along our foot hills along the Rocky Mountain Range.

Laminated wood stocks blend into our forests as they are all most camo like.

Smooth wood grain with checkered cut grips or just plan smooth threw out.

I've owned one synthetic stock in my life time, and it was a beautiful rifle, but it looked out of place amongst my wood stocked units,,, so it was sold off and replaced by a similar rifle in wood.

Another feature of wood is the nicks and scratches that occur on them as this adds more value too the next owner as they leave it the way it is, or sand and re-stain then semi gloss too a smooth finish once more.

Wood stocks have a place in our hearts, I only hope that the next generation gets a chance to pick and choose in their life time as we do today.

A old saying from long ago is,,, "With out wood we only see iron, it is the texture of wood that accents this iron. Together wood and iron blend into one as its admired by steady human hands that hold it."

Don from Western Canada

Being a product of the 60's, and spending my first few of decades hunting/shooting nice walnut stocks with blued barreled actions, I have never considered synthetics or even the laminates aesthetically appealing. But, IMO their is no question that they are more stable and will hold zero with rough usage and under varied climate conditions for extended periods. My current rifles have are mostly synthetic with a few laminate stocks. While they both perform the same functionally, I prefer the lighter weight and balance of the synthetics with my heavier barreled long range rifles used for hunting. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.