Who likes laminate stocks?

105amatt

Lately I've taken a shine to laminate stocks over a composite stock. I really like the feel and look. I picked up a old vls stock last week. It's nothing special, but i love it.

Matt

My Ruger M77 has a factory laminate stock. It's heavy, but it really adds style. I love it, they definitely make it a good looking rifle.

Lately I've taken a shine to laminate stocks over a composite stock. I really like the feel and look. I picked up a old vls stock last week. It's nothing special, but i love it.

Matt

I certainly do. So far Ive bought 2 from Stocky's and 1 from Shehane and 3 from Remington. They dont warp and you bet they fit the action and barrel they were intended to. Looks I can take or leave...?? I might end up actually painting one of them

105, I don't own a laminate since none are made in the classic Weatherby style, but I've bedded a few dozen laminates and find them very strong with no flex.

I like a laminate, they dont have that hollow sound when bumping into brush etc. as far as being heavy I drilled two 5/8 inch holes in the butt of the stock as deep as I could, now it weighs about the same as an full length aluminum bedding block synthetic stock.

The boys at Defensive Edge just finished this one up for me a couple weeks ago. The donor gun was a Remington LSS model (Laminated Stainless steel) and I wasn't sure if should go with a stainless steel colored Cerakote or black. We all agreed on black and I think it goes well with the factory laminated stock. It's nothing special just your garden variety Remington laminated stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.PNG
    IMG_0769.PNG
    162.9 KB · Views: 97
I have half a dozen or so maybe more.

Weight: heavy compared to normal wood, injection molded composite or fiberglass/carbon fiber.
Strength: Very strong
Rigidity: Very rigid. There is a "softness" or dampening like wood that is not there with any composite, fiberglass or carbon fiber stock. Same as a wood baseball bat vs aluminum.
Stability: Nothing beats fiberglass/carbon fiber but laminates are effected by humidity, heat and cold a lot less than solid wood.
Colors: anything your heart desires.

I love them.

All my rifle stocks are wooden, perhaps I'm too conservative, but it is like it is. :) Either walnut wood or laminate. I love the (better) look and subjectively better feeling. Could never inspire me for composite / plastic.

All my rifle stocks are wooden, perhaps I'm too conservative, but it is like it is. :) Either walnut wood or laminate. I love the (better) look and subjectively better feeling. Could never inspire me for composite / plastic.

I'm with you on the plastic. I recycle them when they show up on a rifle I want.

Composite is different. BR and tactical, it has it's place.

I have half a dozen or so maybe more.

Weight: heavy compared to normal wood, injection molded composite or fiberglass/carbon fiber.
Strength: Very strong
Rigidity: Very rigid. There is a "softness" or dampening like wood that is not there with any composite, fiberglass or carbon fiber stock. Same as a wood baseball bat vs aluminum.
Stability: Nothing beats fiberglass/carbon fiber but laminates are effected by humidity, heat and cold a lot less than solid wood.
Colors: anything your heart desires.

I love them.

+1, would add I'm partial to checkering. Boyd's has a nice variety of laser work.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.