Who is in love with their 260rem?

Just finished putting together a 260 Rem on a Stevens receiver, PacNor 26 inch 3 groove 8 twist, RifleBasix SAV2, JP brake, MDT HS3 chassis. Still working on the load, Berger 140s and H4350 over BR2 primers in Lapua brass. Shows every sign of being a real sweetheart...
20190324_171737.jpg

I've had great luck with 260 tactical match reamer from pacific tool. It'll still shoot factory 260. Scary accurate with 139 Lapua Scenars and Lapua cases H4350 and fed210m I have a 8" twist. Done 4 with Bartlien barrels and 700 sa. .003" off lands and still using magpul mags.

It'll smoke the creedmore
I have had a model Seven in 260 and a Browning in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor was more accurate, (not by much). The 260 Rem got better velocity with 140 grain bullets (everything loaded to SAAMI max. length), but the Creedmoor would outperform the 260 Rem in 120-135 gr bullets as it would hold about .5-.75 grain more powder. I sold the Model 7 and bought another Creedmoor, in an Aero Precision AR-10. The 260 Rem was a good gun and I would by another, but it would be improved for the 147 grain class bullets.
A 30° shoulder is just a better design and adds to case capacity and efficiency.

Well it appears only 1 person out of 62 posts declares definitively that the 9 twist is too slow, seems like more than half of the people that posted their twist rate have a 9 twist and love it. And I havent figured out how to change the twist rate in a barrel, so until I figure that out I'll just have to use it as is. Now I guess it's time to get my reamer on order.

doesn't? Shilen .264 barrel blank, but didnt pay attention to what twist when I was ordering and got a 9twist, so I'm thinking it's a good candidate for a 260Rem, who loves them who doesnt?
Need to order a reamer and get this project started already, just not sure what this barrel wants to become. Going to put it on a Savage SA I have laying around.
doesn't? Shilen .264 barrel blank, but didnt pay attention to what twist when I was ordering and got a 9twist, so I'm thinking it's a good candidate for a 260Rem, who loves them who doesnt?
Need to order a reamer and get this project started already, just not sure what this barrel wants to become. Going to put it on a Savage SA I have laying around.
If it was mine I would build a 6.5 x 284 Norma. Since the 6.5 craze I have build more different 6.5's than I thought were out there. I have had a Broughton barrel sitting on the shelf for a long time. I have chosen this because I have several wild cats on the 30-06 case so I don't want another, to much chance of confusing it with the others. It gets good velocity and they tend to be very accurate. The 6.5 x 284 has round as factory stamped cases available or you can just use the 284 Winchester cases and next size them. Just another case to consider. There are more new 6.5 wildcats coming out every day.

I've had great luck with 260 tactical match reamer from pacific tool. It'll still shoot factory 260. Scary accurate with 139 Lapua Scenars and Lapua cases H4350 and fed210m I have a 8" twist. Done 4 with Bartlien barrels and 700 sa. .003" off lands and still using magpul mags.
I'm doing almost the same thing and agree wholeheartedly. 139 gr Scenar, 42.5 gr H4350, BR2 Primer, Lapua Brass and Tactical Match Reamer. Accuracy is consistently sub .5" MOA and routinely produces groups of < .25".

I've gotten more sub 1/4 MOA groups out of my 260 tac match than any other rifle(inside of 200 yards) but still love the 30 and 338 cal for anything past 1000. I have better luck seeing impacts with heavier weight bullets

I have a WIN model 70 260 AI tightneck with a Shilen 8 twist. Shoot 130 bergers over lapua brass @2800+. It just kills stuff. Getting ready to try the 135 classic bergers over the lapua. I think that will be the ticket, not that I really need to change what aint broke, but, you know!

Never had a AI, or any wildcat or had to fire form brass.
Help me make sure I got this right.
260AI you just load up some 260 brass with light load or cream of wheat and fire form then proceed as usual?

The AI has the reamer designed so that there is about .004 crush on the standard case at the neck. In other words the go gauge for the .260 AI is .004 shorter than that of the .260. This allows the case to beheld tight against the bolt face so the parent case can be fired without worry of case separation.

After the first fire, reload the AI case like any other.

Never had a AI, or any wildcat or had to fire form brass.
Help me make sure I got this right.
260AI you just load up some 260 brass with light load or cream of wheat and fire form then proceed as usual?
I've used COW and Bullseye powder to form AI cases but much prefer bullets and mid-upper loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.