Who has utilized used primers.

We never had one pop off with Hoppes 9. But I never tested firing them after
I have never had one pop off removing them either, and that is with nothing on them. Give it a try, put some Hoppes on them then test fire just the primed case.

Years ago I purchased 5000 de-milled Federal cases, all were primed. I full-length sized each case depriming in the process. I saved all the primers in a jar that came with my vacuum sealer. When the jar was nearly full I sealed it up using the vacuum sealer. When I could not and still can not find CCI200 primers I decided to give those saved primers a try. I took 100 primers out of the jar and inspected them. Only one looked hokie so I discarded it. All of these primers seated normally. I put a few in the rifle and snapped off the primers and they fired just fine and upon inspection showed nothing abnormal, I loaded the remaining cases with my proven hand load and all 90+ fired perfectly and produced the same consistently tiny groups that I am used to. Has anyone ever tried this? I had my doubts, but as they say, necessity is the father of invention. They seem to work just fine. And I have around 4800 primers that appear to be okay to use.
Done it with 50 bmg, costs to much not too.

Years ago I purchased 5000 de-milled Federal cases, all were primed. I full-length sized each case depriming in the process. I saved all the primers in a jar that came with my vacuum sealer. When the jar was nearly full I sealed it up using the vacuum sealer. When I could not and still can not find CCI200 primers I decided to give those saved primers a try. I took 100 primers out of the jar and inspected them. Only one looked hokie so I discarded it. All of these primers seated normally. I put a few in the rifle and snapped off the primers and they fired just fine and upon inspection showed nothing abnormal, I loaded the remaining cases with my proven hand load and all 90+ fired perfectly and produced the same consistently tiny groups that I am used to. Has anyone ever tried this? I had my doubts, but as they say, necessity is the father of invention. They seem to work just fine. And I have around 4800 primers that appear to be okay to use.
I'm curious why you didn't remove the depriming pin and then resize the brass? No chance of damaging the primer and it saves a step when reloading.

I had some Lake City 223 ammo misfire recently, two of them on the same day matter of fact. They have been stored in the sealed ammo can I bought them in, kept in climate-controlled environment, but I'm pretty leery of them now. I recently bought a left-hand CZ in .223 and grabbed them to get it sighted in before I hand loaded anything. I ran them both through the rifle a few times trying to get them to go off, but they would not. They're a little old, but they're not that old. I still have primers from the box of stuff a friend and I bought off an older fellow getting out of reloading almost forty years ago, and those primers still work fine, and they were old when we bought them.
I've got LC 556 ammo from 08, 10, 11, 12, 14. 15, 16, 18. I use oldest first and have never had a dud. (Lucky I guess). I bet I've had somewhere around 25000+ rounds cycled through at one time or another over the years. But I don't keep near that much on hand at any one time. I store them the same way every time. I store them in GI ammo boxes with a desiccant pack in each for long term storage. My storage facility is kept between 70f-75f and 30%-40% humidity at all times. I've never had an issue. (I shouldn't have said that) 😗

I've got LC 556 ammo from 08, 10, 11, 12, 14. 15, 16, 18. I use oldest first and have never had a dud. (Lucky I guess). I bet I've had somewhere around 25000+ rounds cycled through at one time or another over the years. But I don't keep near that much on hand at any one time. I store them the same way every time. I store them in GI ammo boxes with a desiccant pack in each for long term storage. My storage facility is kept between 70f-75f and 30%-40% humidity at all times. I've never had an issue. (I shouldn't have said that) 😗
25,000 rounds? I admire your shooting activity and your ability to acquire enormous quantities of ammo. Well done. call me if you ever feel the need to share the wealth. I don't know how to add a cute yellow face, but I'm wanting to add the winking face.

25,000 rounds? I admire your shooting activity and your ability to acquire enormous quantities of ammo. Well done. call me if you ever feel the need to share the wealth. I don't know how to add a cute yellow face, but I'm wanting to add the winking face.
I think he meant 250 rounds, over several years.
And all his rifles were lost in a tragic boating accident.🤷‍♂️

I have successfully recycled primers a few different times and so far, all have performed the same as new ones!

I've never had one not go bang. I've also disassembled ammo from cartridges I no longer have firearms for and used the primers in different cartridges. No issues.

Thought it would be a bad idea and might cause the primer to go off when the decapping pin touched it. It doesn't. I do do this operation VERY slowly tho. And wear my safety glasses.

Recent Posts