Which would fit my action best?

Yorkplates

I finally found a Dakota 76 short action that didn't cost me a limb for a classic deer rifle. It is an older action (pre '95)and has a mag box length of 2.805" What are the COLs for the 25-284 or 6.5-284? In a 25-284, I would want to use 100gr and/or 110gr BTs and in the 6.5-284, the 120 BTs. Are any of these choices possible in my mag box without having to seat the bullets too deep?

Thanks,
Clay

if you go with the 25-284 i would tell you to shoot the 125gr wildcat, or maybe the 142gr wildcat. I shot the 125 in my 25-06 for a while and the suckers really hit hard, impressive dents in a steel plate at 500yds, equal in depth to a 300rum with a 200gr bullet!!!!

I have always thought the 6.5-284 would be a hell of a deer round, good bullet diameter and the 140gr Hornadys would offer a polymer tipped deer slayer

either way you would have a great deer round, as for the action dimensions i have no idea, i bet Kirby or Shawn will chime in and set you on a good direction

steve

Honestly , any round that is based on a case longer than the 308 is gonna have troube seating bullets out realy far in that short of a mag. the Rem 700 SA does it pretty well but works best when the extended mag box is used (3.06")
not saying it can't be done but you will have to seat the bullets down pretty deap

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.