Which way to go?

Cdpp880

I am wanting to get into long range shooting/hunting.

I have a Ar-10 that I originally planes on being a shorter range gun but it shoots extremely well. It currently has a 1-4 power scope. I am wanting to put a higher magnification scope on it. I am not wanting to shoot extreme ranges (600+). I would like to still use it at closer range but is not manditory.

I also have a rem 700 7mag that I currently have a leupold vx3 3.5-10x50 on it and would like to shoot this gun out to 800 yards maybe play around a little farther but most will again be inside 600 yards.

I have about $700 to spend on a new scope and am trying to decide which way to go. I can get a leupold mark 4 4-14x50 second focal plain scope for close to that. I am trying to figure out if I should go that rout and place that on the 7 mag and put the vx3 on the Ar-10. Or save some money and place a swfa ss 10x on the Ar-10 and call it good. Or get something completely different. I would like a ffp scope for range estimation but cannot really get the one I want in my range

What do y'all suggest I do?

If you do a fixed 10x you will need an alternative sighting system for any close shots since the target gets out of focus and the field of view narrow when the target gets up close. If you can add a red dot sight for those circumstances it may be OK. I had one of the Bushnel Elite 3200 10x scopes on an AR and I hated it. Then be sure that the turrets and reticle are calibrated in like units.

If targets will only be engaged past 50 yards, then a fixed 10x will be a lot more comfortable. Having said that, there are several very good Vortex scopes in that price range all SFP but with effective reticles and turrets and a good adjustment range and variable magnification. No doubt a variable magnification scope is a lot more versatile than a fixed one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.