Which Sightron scope would you use/recommend

calgarycanada

Looking to buy new scope for FTR rig. I'm new to the game so asking for suggestions.
This rifle is paper puncher or steel banger from 300 mts to 1200 mts. Weight might be an issue, still waiting for couple of parts before I can estimate weight. I do have 20 MOA base. My Drop for 900 mts(from 100mt zero) is 9.2mils(33ish MOA) and estimated drop for 1200 mts is 51 ish moa. I always hold for wind(newbie me)
I have narrowed it down to Sightron but I'm torn between 10-50, it doesn't have as much internal adjustment(50moa) but great zoom range. So with 20 MOA base and 10 MOA from signature zee rings I might be able to cover 300-1200 mts
Or
8-32 model it has enough internal adjustment (70moa) that I don't have to worry as much and I might be able to get away with 100-200 mts zero but of course I loose high end magnification and I won't be able to use MOA reticle to finer adjustments(@36x reticle hash marks are 1.5 MOA and at 48x each hash is one MOA)

So all you experts(especially F classers) what do you guys use and what would you suggest ??

guess my calculation was wrong about their reticle hash marks. They are true to 2 MOA on 24X and 1.5 MOA each at 32X. So even with 8-32 model I can still use reticle for holds at 32x

guess my calculation was wrong about their reticle hash marks. They are true to 2 MOA on 24X and 1.5 MOA each at 32X. So even with 8-32 model I can still use reticle for holds at 32x

I was told by a dealer in southern British Columbia, that early in the New Year, new models will be announced...that means two things are likely...increased prices and possibly more of what you are looking fir.

No idea as to what is coming yet, or exactly when it will happen, but as I prefer First Focal Plane so the reticle does not change with power changes, so far they have only two such models. One with their MOA-2 reticle and one with mil radians in hash marks.

I had planned to buy the first one: Model FFP/MOA SIIISS6-24X 50 for my
.308 Model 700P LTR

The other is: LRFFP/MH.1MRAD Adj SIIISS

Both are retailing for $1090 at the Canadian importer, Hirsch Precision, and from Mystic Precision in Summerland British Columbia right now. (the only 2 I know about anyway)

I used a borrowed SII36X BR DOT AO 36X42 for some load development I was doing and a fellow at the range had his NF BR scope there. Saw little difference between the two in terms of resolution brightness or clarity. Have not had a chance to look at any others so far, as none of the dealers in north eastern British Columbia handle them.

Not much help there but hoped you might find this of some use.

Given 80 moa of elevation leeway I think it is, you might be compromised at close ranges like 100 m with your 20moa base. See the review on Sniper Central for the second focal plane version.

Looks to me like you're wanting a ranging scope. IMO, nothing matches a first focal plane MilDot reticle for ranging. That said, I would not use a MilDot scope for F class.
I'd go for the 8-32. Don't see why you'd need greater magnification out to 1200 mtrs. I shoot 1000 mtrs. regularly with 6.5 - 20 without difficulty.
Noting the reference to the possibility of a price increase after the first of the year. Keep in mind that new models with higher prices usually means last year's models drop in price. Clearance sales are common under those circumstances. So, if you hang on a bit longer, you may find the scope you want today is less expensive after the first of the year.

Looks to me like you're wanting a ranging scope. IMO, nothing matches a first focal plane MilDot reticle for ranging. That said, I would not use a MilDot scope for F class.
I'd go for the 8-32. Don't see why you'd need greater magnification out to 1200 mtrs. I shoot 1000 mtrs. regularly with 6.5 - 20 without difficulty.
Noting the reference to the possibility of a price increase after the first of the year. Keep in mind that new models with higher prices usually means last year's models drop in price. Clearance sales are common under those circumstances. So, if you hang on a bit longer, you may find the scope you want today is less expensive after the first of the year.

I don't need reticle for ranging but as I mentioned in original post I almost always hold for wind. That's why I want a ranging type reticle. Initially I wanted to get Sightron s3 6-24 FFP scope with mil hash reticle(I'm as good/bad with MOA and mils but prefer mils) but then I talked to retailer I buy my stuff from and he talked me out of FFP and MIL based scope. That's when I started thinking about 10-50 model, my thought is if I'm going with second focal plane I may as well go for biggest magnification available (aim small-miss small) with finest possible reticle subtensions for wind holds. But if 8-32 is more clear and subtensions are 1.5moa at 32x then I'll probably go with that one to save some weight and $$(I can get used $350-400 cheaper then 10-50 model)

You are right about him not using the mildot i think. The Summerland BC fellow i mentioned shoots F-class a lot, and uses the either the 8-32x or the 6-24x50 with the MOA-2 Sightron scope reticle.

I have a few Sightron SIIIs. Let me see, 3 10-50x60 (2 dot, 1 IRLRMOA), 1 8-32x56 (dot), 2 6-24x50 (1 dot, 1 LRMOA).

so

I know from where I speak. Though I have only shot F-Class once due to schedule/work challenges. I practice to 700 yards as often as I can.

IIWM

Once your rifle is done and you know the weight, get the highest power that won't put you over weight. Either reticule will work dot or MOA because you will be dialing turrets anyway and you will know the distance errors from the marked impacts.

IMHO: For the price, the glass is pretty good. Does it match NF, no but similar NF models are 2x the money.

I have a few Sightron SIIIs. Let me see, 3 10-50x60 (2 dot, 1 IRLRMOA), 1 8-32x56 (dot), 2 6-24x50 (1 dot, 1 LRMOA).

Nice collection. Of those you have, which would you prefer if you had to choose only one of them, and would you go for a First Focal Plane given the choice for the kind of shooting you do (as in the sfp or ffp 6-24x50 scopes)?

You talked to guys shooting F-class and what scopes they use?
Call Jerry Teo or email him at www.mysticprecision.com
He is a sightron dealer and avid f-class shooter

I have talked to few local f class guys and most of them use Nightforce and few others are mix of leupolds, weaver and Sightron.
It's funny you mentioned Jerry coz He is the retailer I use for most of my product and he is the one who talked me out of MIL based FFP Sightron.
He suggested 10-50 model as he uses one personally. I'm getting one 10-50 for my 284 win but I'm looking for one more scope for my FTR .308 rifle and I'm debating between 8-32 vs another 10-50.

Good luck with your plans whichever you go to. I had figured he was using a smaller magnification than that based on what he was talking about one time.

I would guess jfseaman's comments about total weight of your scope, mounts and final rifle is how you might want to look at it then.

I know if I had the spare cash I would buy one of the Zeiss Hensoldt scopes or the US Optics SN3.

Any idea why it was Jerry talked you away from the 6-24 ffp Sightron? Perhaps not enough magnification?

Good luck with your plans whichever you go to. I had figured he was using a smaller magnification than that based on what he was talking about one time.

I would guess jfseaman's comments about total weight of your scope, mounts and final rifle is how you might want to look at it then.

I know if I had the spare cash I would buy one of the Zeiss Hensoldt scopes or the US Optics SN3.

Any idea why it was Jerry talked you away from the 6-24 ffp Sightron? Perhaps not enough magnification?

I wanted to get 6-24 FFP mil/mil but Jerry said mil based scope is useless. Here's his reply

"I think if you are going to be match/paper shooting, the MOA set up is going to be WAY easier to use.

If you are field shooting and the other shooters use Milrad, by all means... keep the units the same. Otherwise, all competition/target shooters will use MOA and the targets are set up for this. the milrad units are a PITA to use for this."

I understand, and he is right.

For LR Hunting however, mrads are the way to go, but I can do just as well with the ffp moa-2 reticles and my rangefinder.

Nice collection. Of those you have, which would you prefer if you had to choose only one of them, and would you go for a First Focal Plane given the choice for the kind of shooting you do (as in the sfp or ffp 6-24x50 scopes)?
8-32x56LRMOA. I prefer SFP.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.