Which scope for which rifle?

matemike

Like many, I have been building and tinkering with a few rifles over the last couple of years and think I have two that will be coming to finalization soon.

First rifle is a Savage 10 FLCPK in 308 with a fluted bull barrel. I've installed an AAC brake for suppressor use and removed the accustock to replace it with an XLR Element chassis. This rifle houses a 30mm Bushnell Tactical Elite ERS 4.5-30X50 scope in a Nightforce 20 moa base and rings. I also use a 6-9" Harris bipod on this gun. Altogether my trusty fish scale finds that this rifle weighs in at 14 lbs without the bipod, suppressor or magazine. It serves me as a 1000 yard bench gun, maybe a competition shooter someday and I hunt with it too because both places I hunt deer here in Texas involves me driving directly up to my blind and sitting hidden in the wooden box for a few hours. The heavy weight suits me just fine and I never intend to lug it around in a hunting role.

Second rifle is a Weatherby Mark V in 338-378 Wby. I've had an Assassin muzzle brake installed on it which added 5 oz. This rifle houses a 30mm Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 scope in a Near Mfg 10 moa Alphamount base. I shoot this rifle off bags so there's no bipod. Rifle, base and 31 oz scope come in at 10 pounds. It is also a 1000 yard bench gun, but it'll be carried as my Alaska moose gun and packed in as my Elk rifle in New Mexico. I still consider myself a young lad at 32, and the ten pounds is not a deal breaker.

But could it be better? Could I swap the scopes and shave 10 ounces off my Weatheby? That would make the rifle weigh less than 9 1/2 pounds.

Let's consider shooting both rifles 1,000 yards with 300 yard zeros.

The 338-378 wby rough estimate needs 20 moa adjustment. No problem for either scope, considering the 10 moa Near Mfg Alphamount base.

The 308 rough estimate needs 30 moa adjustment. Also no problem for either scope considering the NF 20 moa base.

So would the Bushnell suit me well on the big Weatherby? Although it has an improved muzzle brake making felt recoil to the shooter to be 16-18 pounds, is there still too much recoil on the barrel and action from the 338-378 for the Bushnell? Can anyone offer insight steering me to think this is a bad idea and just keep the lighter Bushnell on my 308 and keep the tank of a scope NF on my Weatherby?

I'm planning on building a similar rig - but using a Leupold VX6 4-24x52 Target scope to keep my weight down.

I too have a Nightforce on my other guns but it's definitely too heavy for a carry gun - and also important is the 6x magnification range - as a carry gun does likely more work close-in than long range, and I wanted a scope and gun that works well for both purposes.

16-18 lbs recoil puts it at/below a 30-06 so the scope should be able to handle it. The Bushnell Elite ERS is one of their better scopes (old Bausch & Lomb).

Just ordered a Weatherby Arroyo in 338/378 - can hardly wait :).

BTW How do you like the Assassin Brake?

Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay.

I like the Assassin brake. It's looks are pleasing, like it belongs on this rifle and serves it's purpose exactly. It's not too tactical looking as the market tends to lean when designing rifle parts these days. Making me even happier with it is that Jerry at JE Custom is a great guy with great talent when gunsmithing. We live only twenty miles apart, so I got to deal with him in person.

I think I'll do it; put the Bushnell onto the Weatherby and put the NF onto the 308 in the chassis system. Besides, what's a little more tinkering?

Your 338-378 rig with the Leupold sounds very nice. You should really enjoy the cartridge. If you're a long range buff who likes big hits at the other end, this round is awesome. I can't quite justify a 50 BMG, but this big Wby does everything I'd ever want a monster rifle to do right out of the starting gate. Loads worked up easily and it seems like components such as bullets, powder, primers and data are easy to find. I was a little nervous at first, but it's worked out quite well thus far.

Yup, I see an Assassin Brake in my future as well - which one did you go for - (as there's different styles).

I've thought about a 50 but didn't think it would leave much meat left over to eat once I shot something with it.

Here in Calgary we have a huge number of 50 cal's. A friend of mine here builds and sells 50's, some years ago he got a call from the President of U.S. Optics - who told him he sells more SN-9 scopes (the external erector) than world-wide combined. So I got to thinking why - the only reason I figure is we have all these farmer kids coming out of the oil patch with money spilling out of their pockets, and they've got nothing better to do than drop $8-10g's on a .50 and shoot gophers at 2000 yards - go figure (?)

Anyway - I've setup my hunting rifle collection for three ranges:

Short Range: 0 - 300yds - 30/06
Med Range: 300 - 1000yds - 300 Win Mag
Long Range: >1000 yards - 338 Edge

Well it sounds good in theory, but more than once I've had Elk just out of range of what I was carrying that day. And the 338 Edge weighs 22 lbs and I'm just too tired to pack that thing around.

So I finally saw the light and realized I need one gun that can 'do it all', light weight, easy to shoot, and reaches way out there.. and the Weatherby 338/378 fits the bill.

16-18 lbs recoil puts it at/below a 30-06 so the scope should be able to handle it. The Bushnell Elite ERS is one of their better scopes (old Bausch & Lomb).

Thanks for that tid bit of info. Keep in mind though, this is the ERS...not the XRS which is their absolute top of the line scope. That one boasts a 34mm tube, FFP sight location, 1/10 mil clicks. Are you sure that's not the old B&L?

Yup, I see an Assassin Brake in my future as well - which one did you go for - (as there's different styles).

I got the turned down brake tuned for my specific cartridge. Jerry said that it's tuned slightly different form his 338 Lapua brakes. That's how precise he measures recoil reduction and effectiveness. (it's not just any ole brake for a 338 cal bullet)
I let him make his recommendations on how much to turn it down without compromising strength, but still reaching every bit of effectiveness from the brake. It came out with 1" flats on the top and bottom. Altogether it's 1.5" wide and 3" long.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.