Which Nightforce scope

MN Hunter

I am having a 338rum built by Defensive Edge - 26" + break - #5.5 contour barrel. My dilema is do I put a 3.5x15 or a 5.5x22 Nightforce Scope on it? I like the idea of the 5.5. But am concerned it may be to much magnification in situations where I would be in a wooded area. I hunt elk in NW Colorado. Have opportunity for both lomger range and short range shots. Any thoughts?

If it was me I would go with the 5.5x22

It is only a 2x diff on low but you sre gaining 7x on full power.

Of all my variables I keep most set at 6x when I am walking just in case I jump something. Dang even my 11-87 has a Leupy 3.5x10 on it....

I have both and find that in my area [AZ] that much above 12-15X the mirage becomes a problem. That may not present as much of a factor in your area and the 338 RUM can definitely make good use of the 22X.

The 3.5 would help more in low light / dusk conditions for a little longer shooting light.

Such a dilema....having to choose which Nightforce!!

I went with the 3.5-15 over my 5.5-22 on my 338 RUM only because of the reticle that it had .
FWIW

Wes in AZ

I am responding because I had the same exact question a couple of months ago. Shawn is also currently building me a 338 but in an edge. I just ordered the nightforce for it and really struggled with which one to buy. I hunt in areas that the way in and way out are greating hunting areas and its nice to have the low power for quick opportunities. At any rate, I have leupold 4.5-14's and have never had a problem with the 4.5 being to much,so i am hoping the 5.5 proves to be okay. I finally decided to go with the 5.5-22 because for this rifle I felt like the rest of the gun was built for extreme long range possibilities and for the scope to be a perfect fit, I wanted the highest power available that still had a low power setting that would work, rather than the optimum low power setting and a higher power setting that would work. cant go wrong either way, but you might ask shawn what sits atop of his 338!

In my mind, it really depends on 'how' you will be using the scope. If you will be using your reticle for elevation, I'd select the 3.5x15, as it is only corerect on the highest power (either 15 or 22). When you are on the highest power you will have a larger field of view on 15x than on 22x for spotting your own shots.

On the other hand, if you are going to be dialing your drops into the scope, then you can use whatever power is appropriate for the situation, as you will be using the center crosshair for all your shooting.

I personally use the 3.5x15x50 with NP-R1 reticle on my 2 long range rifles. I dial the windage adjustment and use the reticle for elevation adjustments. It works fine on my 338 Edge and my 338 Allen Mag. Even with The Allen Mag, my 3.5x15x50 is all the scope I need for big game (Elk, Deer etc).

Good luck,
AJ

In my mind, it really depends on 'how' you will be using the scope. If you will be using your reticle for elevation, I'd select the 3.5x15, as it is only corerect on the highest power (either 15 or 22). When you are on the highest power you will have a larger field of view on 15x than on 22x for spotting your own shots.

On the other hand, if you are going to be dialing your drops into the scope, then you can use whatever power is appropriate for the situation, as you will be using the center crosshair for all your shooting.

I personally use the 3.5x15x50 with NP-R1 reticle on my 2 long range rifles. I dial the windage adjustment and use the reticle for elevation adjustments. It works fine on my 338 Edge and my 338 Allen Mag. Even with The Allen Mag, my 3.5x15x50 is all the scope I need for big game (Elk, Deer etc).

Good luck,
AJ

Alright, AJ.....you are working hard to make my next NF purchase a 3.5 x 15 instead of a 5.5 x 22.......#$@)(#!!!! :D

I still think I need another 5.5 x 22, though.......decisions, decisions.

TXLR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.