Which Nightforce Reticle?

petr

Ok team. I have decided on a NF 5.5-222 x 56

Whew, the hard part is over. Now which reticle?

NP-R1 seems to be my first choice.

But, should I be considering others? Like the NP1RR? How many are using the NP1RR and just love it? Do you really find this one useful in ranging. That is the point right, to use it to range and then make corrections without using a rangefinder.

My use is for big game. Rifle is a 7STW.

On the basis of resale, which reticle would be more popular?

Best Regards...

petr,
I have the 5.5x22-50mm w/NP-R1 reticle. At times I find it to "busy" and seem to get lost on the verticle hashmarks. Most of the time I dial up elevation, and don't use it for ranging. Have thought about sending it in to change the reticle to the NP-R2 or NP-1(no hashmarks). I can't comment on how accurate ranging can be done with the NP-R1.There are some on this site that I'm sure do quite well.I plan on practicing more on that when the weather eases up a little. If I were to do it again, I would either get the NP-R2 or the NP-1 reticle.
The NP-R2 still allows you to determine range with the reticle,(maybe not quite as accuratly as the NP-R1) and the hashmarks are open enough not to be confusing. Or just get the NP-1 and dial elevation for everything. Others on here can comment more on the ranging aspect .

I agree the NPR-1 is a bit confusiung. I have and prefer either the NPR-2 or the Mill Dot reticle with Mill turrets. The dot are cirecle that you can see through, pretty cool IMHO. The NPR-2 is excellent with MOA turretsas

How important is the zero turn for on a hunting rifle. I was thinking okey if i spend that much what is $200.00 extra, is it really needed or worth it?
Mike

Thanks for the replies. Good ideas that I had not considered.

Back to the drawing board to revaluate what might work.

I am not a fan of "busy reticles" for hunting. I learned that lesson with a boone & crockett reticle. Personal I know.

Know what else is weird? I always shoot more consistent groups with a thicker cross hair. Seems counter-intuitive, but it's true.

Hi, petr:

I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 on Remington 700 TH-LSS .300 wsm with NPR-2 reticle, I just loved it. It's very clean and easy to use. I never used NP1RR myself, so can't really comment on that. Would recommand you to check it out yourself.

WizardM

I like the NPR1 myself and that is the most popular reticle we sale. I have had one or two people tell me the NPR1 is too much for them and they like the NPR2. I do not like the NPR2 because the side wind-age lines are 5moa and that is just too much for wind holdovers. I use the MLR myself I just prefer MIL base reticles.

As for the 0-Stop it is not always need but can be nice to have. I really like the 0-stop turret on the MIL RED Turret.

I also recommend getting the 50mm to get the scope lower. Most likely your eye will not notice the difference between the 56mm and the 50mm but you will notice the difference between the 0.885" center height rings and the 1.125" center height.

Mike @ CSGW

MLR reticle! Thicker than the NP-R1 and less busy! I have both the and the NP-R1 is good against light uncluttered backgrounds. Works great in prairie dog towns! I loose the lines in foliage and and darker backgrounds.

MLR is a much better thickness IMHO and yes, get the milrad turrets. I didn't at first and it makes everything much simpler!

If you are going to use the reticle for range estimation then NP-R1 all the way. The finer the graduation the more accurate the size of the target can measured. And like Mike from CS Gunworks said the NP-R2 is to coarse on the windage for accurate holdoffs. I don't dial windage most of the time because I have a bad habit of cranking the thing the wrong way. Holdoffs are just easier to me for windage.
One thing I will say about the Zero-stop, it's nice to be able to go back to zero with a positive stop but you loose your # of rotations scale on the elevation turret with the zero stop. Sometimes I have lost count or second guessed myself on how many revolutions I have turned the knobs and I have to go all the way back to zero to be sure. I wish Nightforce would put a scale on the turret with the zero stop.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.