which muzzeloader to buy?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloader Hunting' started by jayran, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jayran

jayran Well-Known Member

I was wondering for long range, say out to 250-300 yds which off the shelf gun would be best? TC,Knight,Savage,????

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of good words about the smokeless Savages.

I own a couple CVA's and wouldn't recommend them. Here in Nevada we are limited to open sights only. They are good enough for as far as I can shoot with open sights but that's about it.

The Savage would be my next ML.

3. jayran

jayran Well-Known Member

cool i looked on there website like the accutrigger.

4. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

5. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

My first muzzleloader was a Savage (somehow I ended up with a low serial number from their first run) and I liked it so much that I have 3 of them now.

You don't have to clean them every day, and you can shoot a whole range of bullet sizes and weights. You can load them down for small stature shooters, or load them up for bigger stuff. Feral hogs really don't like a .458" 350g Barnes "X' bullet @ 2300 fps!

6. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

If smokeless is legal where you hunt, I wouldn't buy anything but a Savage ML.
    I have one and have developed a load w/300gr Barnes original bullets that will shoot MOA or less to 300 yards. They are great muzzleloaders.

7. nate270

nate270 Active Member

i realy like my Roling block winchester 54 (replica) and with the open sites on the bench pull 6'' groups at 300 yards now because im origonaly from Nevada i ordered the long range rear site like the Bodine site and hit a 55 gal drum at 500 yards most of the time. gun)there are lots of muzzleloaders out there and you need to find one that fits you i have had a few and the rolling block is the best that I have had my plainsman was alright but for it to shoot the range that i wanted needed a different barrel find one for you.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  8. edge

edge Well-Known Member

If smokeless is legal you can get a Savage ML, OR a Savage centerfire and convert it to a ML in something other than 50 caliber...if legal where you hunt.

BH209 gets very close to Savage velocities and is pretty clean.

edge.

9. nate270

nate270 Active Member

10. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 Member

Looks like a modern cartridge rifle...kinda takes away what a traditional muzzleloading rifle is supposed to be. I don't understand why people even bother with them...other than just extending a season.

11. peashooter

peashooter Well-Known Member

I'm shooting the Savage 10ML with 40gr. of Vht. N110 . shoots consistently moa with hornady 250 gr. SST. What powder you using with the 300 gr. Barnes? I can't get AA 5744 to group or generate vbelocities over 1950fps.
    peashooter

12. edge

edge Well-Known Member

IMO, this is Muzzleloader Hunting, and NOT traditional Muzzleloading!
    Just as in archery, some folks build their own bows and some folks enjoy compounds!

I think that they all apply in hunting, if they are not for you then stick to what you enjoy.

On other forums I have seen folks complain of smokeless but advocate black powder substitutes. IMO, if it loads from the muzzle then it is a muzzleloader. Enjoy the sport as you see fit :)

edge.

13. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

Try 60 grains of H-4198 ignited by 10g of VV N-110 under the 300g bullet. (10 grains of N-110 down the tube first, followed by the H-4198 then the sabot/bullet. It should be good for right around 2450 fps.

14. HAWKEYE50ML

HAWKEYE50ML Member

Consider this one...
    [​IMG]