which monopod for rear support?

Gentlemen,this is very interesting.

Excuse me for interrupting, STL has the same approach as I´ve got with my moose LR rifle:

My Sako TRG-S 338 LM always wears the bipod, even offhand. When shooting from a car top I use a separate rubber car carpet of a sort under the whole gun.

The same applies to harder or uneven surfaces like rocks. The carpet seems to help the gun shoot the same,despite of the surface and the bipod stays nice and solid,especially in rain. Easy enough to carry.

Rear support is either a small sandbag or a hard rubber block -or both when needed.

So the rubber carpet idea might work fine with the Monopod because it balances the surface differences a litte, makin hard softer and soft harder. At least that´s how it works without the monopod, I shoot at strange places sometimes.

Minimizing the variables in a field rig,that´s all.

Your comment about my rear support becoming "somewhat solid" is right on.
The bean bag I use is filled with lightweight poly beads. It becomes firm when the rifle is pushing down on it, and I am squeezing it with my left hand.

I'll tell you that the difference between "somewhat" solid and "totally rigid" is a big difference indeed. But I truly don't want to rain on your parade - you are to be commended for discussing your product like this on a public forum!

I couldn't do it, but others may find their shooting style or their personal requirements for accuracy can be adapted to a rigid rear support.

I read this thread with interest and appreciate the comments and interest in our product. (Forgive my ignorance but who is "STL" I'd like to visit with STL regarding the findings posted here.)

The Accu-Shot monopod was developed for field use with a bipod to provide a lightweight, one-piece unit that will provide elevation adjustments in the field. So you can grab your rifle and move and have three point stability when you go prone. It's migration to the bench I suppose is a normal occurrence in our wonderful shooting world. But please understand, that had I set out to build a rest for the bench, it would not have been a 6 ounce tool requiring attachment to the rifle. (I have in mind a rest for the bench, but other projects currently take priority.)

We are happy to have customers that have found successes using the Accu-Shot from the bench. But we are honored to have a product that has helped amputees shoot a rifle again. As we are about the senior citizens that tell us how the Accu-Shot "steadies" their aim. May we all be so driven to get out there and shoot ...

It's a tool. It will not work for everybody but for some it will work quite well fulfilling a need.

Well, I appreciate your kind words, and I feel there should always be an interest in improving. And as far as raining on my parade, not to worry. You are stating your observations with a piece of gear. I find such feedback of great value. I know the Accu-Shot does not work for everybody, what does? I mean, how many brands of toilet paper are there? And we all have our preference right? No, STL I appreciate your taking the time to explain your experience with me and thank you for it.

My understanding of your shooting style and the results of "with zero or almost zero vertical dispersion" was being accomplished with your beanbag. Thus the idea about the pad in hopes of eliminating the "almost" part.....

You are right about rigid vs. somewhat solid, and that's something to consider. Do you think that a pad under the Accu-Shot would change the results you found? Or might there be something else as well? I know that consistency is the answer to the accuracy question, and that is why I ask.

Well, selfish me needs STL to figure out how I can work a tiny bit better with the Accu-pod because I like it a lot.

STL, you can do that for me in your spare time, can't you?
smile.gif

Well, why not look at what the benchresters have already found. The rear of the rifle needs to be able to move in at least two, maybe three, directions when fired. Down, back and twist due to torque (if you believe in it!). They don't lock an "arm" off the rear of the rifle, they place the stock in a slick, powdered-up sandbag which dampens and allows for free movement.

Now you might dampen the the "down" with something like a small shock absorber. But the "Back" and "Twist", with a monopod fixed to the rifle, skipping along the surface? I can't come up with anything here. Fixing that issue would be what Kasey gets paid for!
wink.gif

I'm going to get paid?? Yahooo!

So I guess, at the end of the day, you are willing to accept the "zero or almost zero vertical dispersion " you get with a beanbag as being as good as it gets with todays equipment. To me, if you can still detect this vertical dispersion with a beanbag, then there must be something else to consider as well...thinking out loud, working on that pay check thing...
grin.gif

Len, Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you have found a measure of benefit from it's use.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.